Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Tornadoes In The South: 300+ Dead

9 posts in this topic

Unbelievable storms in the southeast.

I hope that all our members from that area are OK. I know we have or had some members who went to the University Of Alabama, plus members of EMTBravoSouth.com.

Death toll has exceeded 280 over 6 states, with Tuscaloosa,AL hardest hit it seems.

Here in Texas, TX TF-1 (Houston) was just taken off "Alert" status by FEMA, who said "FEMA has confirmed with the States' of Alabama and Georgia that US&R assets will not be needed". Is it just me, or does it seem FEMA is again dragging it's feet? I haven't heard much about what the Federal government is doing, aside from a short "brush aside" message from the President before going on with the Defense Department changes.

I don't see how these six states, or the citizens who have been devastated by the destruction, could have "all the resources they need". Especially with most of our "homeland security" forces overseas.

I don't see how these six states, or the citizens who have been devastated by the destruction, could have "all the resources they need". Especially with most of our "homeland security" forces overseas.

I agree with everything except this part. There are over One Million military personnel available for immediate deployment in the US. It is the state's responsibilities to get the guard resources they need to the damage zones. They should know the feds will be inept to respond in a timely manner when it is their responsibility to do so if history tells us anything. However initial response should still be up to the state and their respective guard and state militias when applicable. There are plenty of other non military resources that should be readily available for rapid deployment as well.

If the states don't request, FEMA can't act. How is this one FEMA dragging their feet?

If the states don't request, FEMA can't act. How is this one FEMA dragging their feet?

FEMA started the ball rolling on the 27th with activation and deployment of their resources and Maxwell AB in Alabama is being utilized as their incident support base. In addition as mentioned above National Guard resources in all states affected have been called up as required by the Governors. Also some of you may or may not be aware Ft Rucker AL is

the US Armys Aviation center and has lots of resources to deploy... All coordination is being performed between appropriate State Agencies

Death toll has exceeded 280 over 6 states, with Tuscaloosa,AL hardest hit it seems.

Here in Texas, TX TF-1 (Houston) was just taken off "Alert" status by FEMA, who said "FEMA has confirmed with the States' of Alabama and Georgia that US&R assets will not be needed". Is it just me, or does it seem FEMA is again dragging it's feet? I haven't heard much about what the Federal government is doing, aside from a short "brush aside" message from the President before going on with the Defense Department changes.

I'm not a big fan of FEMA but how is this "dragging their feet"? What resources should FEMA put on the ground in AL or GA? Police, fire, EMS - they're already there. How about the National Guard - those are controlled by the states, not FEMA.

The federal government's role is to support a state when that state's resources are overwhelmed. These storms left small paths or pockets of devastation but do they overwhelm an entire state? I don't think so - not even Alabama.

As for "homeland security" forces being overseas, our primary homeland security forces are local first responders, virtually none of whom are overseas. The military has a domestic role in emergency preparedness and as Spartan points out there are lots of those resources stateside. If they're needed, the National Guard can be activated and mobilized without interference or complications from the federal government.

FEMA definitely has its share of issues but I don't think they're at fault or to blame in this case.

I was wrong, FEMA did act promptly- financially. And Alabama is holding it's own- at least the politicans are making it seem that way.

Today is several days after the tornadoes rolled through some of the poorest areas in the nation. The was nothing small about this. Resources are just begining to trickle in after days of despair, and haven't even reached some of the poorest and most remote areas yet.

There are over 280 dead and more missing and thousands injured. That's 280 to bury in some towns that lost their morgues, funeral homes, etc. There are still people with nothing left. Some of these people haven't been able to call other family members, get fresh water, clothes, etc. These people aren't going to have jobs to go back to for a while, either. There are still tractor trailer drivers, who aren't even from the area, who are crippled because their truck and cargo is laying on it's side on the interstates.

There are significant gasoline shortages, and people are unable to fuel their emergency generators (this includes "shelters") or their vehicles to go someplace else. There are no grocery stores left in some towns, either.

Not to mention the looting that's begining. Not only are local people looting a lot of the stores that got damaged (especially stores like Best Buy, Wal-Mart, pharmacies, etc), but people are even coming from other places to do so.

And local emergency services workers.....obviously some of them are victims personally, too. There are FD's, PD's 911 Commincation Centers, EMS services, that are completly wiped out. If you're having a heart attack or medical emergency, you're screwed.

And a lot of these people are screwed right now if there is another outbreak of tornadoes...especially since "tornado season" in tornado alley hasn't even begun.

It was interesting this occured during the Texas State Emergency Management Conference, and to see a lot of analysis fron experts worldwide. Especially since there are three national disasters currently...the tornadoes, the wildfires in Texas, and the flooding in the upper midwest.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/dem/conference/txEmerMgmtConf.htm

Well any word on how many Guard units are being mobilized? They are there for a reason.

Well any word on how many Guard units are being mobilized? They are there for a reason.

Alabama activated 2000 Wednesday and they were on the ground working yesterday morning, with additional units being called up. 1700 deployed in Arkansas and about 600 in Missouri numerous air assets as well are deployed. Also you

have numerous Texas units deployed working on the wildfires . So I think the Sates are mobilizing their assets as they need them