Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Break It Down: Yankee Stadium

10 posts in this topic

Last night, I caught "Break It Down: Yankee Stadium", which chronicled the demolition of the old Yankee Stadium from begining to end. They did a nice job putting it together.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/break-it-down/4335/Overview

Which led me to think. Please note I haven't been in that area since 2007. I know it's driven by money and the "stadium experience", but was the new stadium really neccesary, now that it's served a few seasons?

I was cringing watching the demolition of the old stadium? Did it really need to be? Couldn't the old stadium be re-adapted or re used in some fashion? From what I saw, it was built pretty sturdy. It is sad, but was it neccesary?

And what is currently where Yankee Stadium was?

Well, the new stadium is nice...finally cup holders in every seat and mildy edible food. That being said, ABSELUTELY there was no need for a new stadium! It was totally about the money. The modifications made had very little to do with the average person's experience. What changed most was the teams facilities...more elaborate offices, locker rooms and training facilities and more luxury seating. Remember, the stadium actually has fewer seats than the old one, and nearly double the amoundt of luxury boxes. I love history...so to me seeing the stadium I grew up with demolished was depressing. On the other hand it was signifigantly chaned from the "House that Ruth built" during it's last renovation...so not as tragic as one would think.

As for the space it origionally occupied, it is currently being developed into some of the parkland promised to the city. For those who don't know/remember the new stadium is built on NYC park land, specifically Macombs Dam Park. The space where the old stadium was was to be developed as a park w/ sports fields to replace the ones displaced by the new stadium. As of today, two baseball fields have been sodded and sprinklers installed. Alot of work still needs to be done in terms of landscaping. The park is long since overdue to be completed, and while progess has been made I don't think it will be open before mid summer.

Edited by nycemt728

Nycemt nailed it. The new stadium is about the cash. It is beautiful but unnecessary. I'm a die hard Yankee fan and huge history buff. Demolishing the old stadium was necessary. That neighborhood doesn't need a massive monument to the Yankees across from the new one. As it is that neighborhood shuts down in the off season. The Parks and fields are sorely needed and a substantial upgrade over what was there.

The other guys are spot on but I want to add that the stadium is better thought out than the old one. It is much more open and you can see the game from more places than the old stadium so it does make for a better experience.

Considering that all the "luxury" elite seats are vacant most of the time, they would have been better served by increasing the seating for true fans not rich folks. But now they can claim they sold out more often. Ha.

Thanks for the info.

I've heard that the stadium was never the same since the 1974 renovation. But still, couldn't it have been renovated "back"? But, I guess Steinbrenner Sports made more money selling every piece of the old stadium they could.

At one time (probaly early 2000's), I read that the facade of the old stadium was to be used for the new park, or even the old stadium to be renovated into several little league fields.

Has anyone taken Metro North to the games in the new stadium? Has that started yet? Do you have to connect through Grand Central?

Yankee Stadium has its own stop on the Hudson Line only open for games. Added train on Game Days (around game times to and from) A awesome addition, no parking woes, no traffic on the Deegan... and another plus is you can drink on the train and during game and not worry about the drive right after the game...

Edited by EFFD4091-MLSS emt

Has anyone taken Metro North to the games in the new stadium? Has that started yet? Do you have to connect through Grand Central?

Took it on opening day - Croton Harmon direct to Yankee Stadium (no GCT) in about 35 minutes - you can't do that by car! Walk from the platform to the stadium in about 5 minutes so for those in the northern suburbs, it is the best way to get there!

New stadium was built atop several little league fields. Old stadium had to come down to replace them. Renovating the old stadium would not have allowed the construction of the restaurants and all the luxury boxes. Renovating back to its older roots would have further reduced capacity and eliminated many of the cash cows the new stadium has.

Thanks for the info, guys.

Has the new stadium field "enhanced" or changed the actual playing of the game at all?