Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Does "Cutting Electricty" To A Structure Matter Anymore?

4 posts in this topic

After reading several articles, I've come to the conclusion that cutting power nowadays really shouldn't be assumed that electricity is not still flowing.

Backup generators and battery backup systems, both of which are becoming more commons nowadays for residences as well as commerical businesses, can backfeed back into the grid if not installed properly. The same goes with solar and wind power. Additionally, some residences or businesses have may have one or more electrical feeds, and the power company may not know about it.

This is what the "hotstick" was made for, and I'm just curious if any department has used it at an electrical or structure fire? Also, are there any departments that call 811 as a protocol?

From my understanding, the "hot stick" was primarily used along with the Linesman Gloves for removal of downed power lines that posed a immediate life hazard, like an aided trapped in a car. I know they have been removed from my job.

Another good topic to look into is the use of Uninterrupted Power Supply Systems (UPS).

Mainly used in telecom and server based commercial structures. However they house large quantities of haz-mat materials and are very difficult to successfully shut down completely. Not to mention, they can be located ANYWHERE within a structure, from entire floors to small closets, basements, or on roofs to be used with cell towers.

-stay safe

In my years of working with my brother as a general contractor there is one thing I have Deffinately been able to bring with me to the fire service... "THE POWER IS NEVER OFF!" There have been many times that we have been told by the electrician (who is a long time friend and we trust with our lives) that he has turned off the power to a room or sometimes an entire house and still manage to see sparks fly after a line is cut. Generators are very common as seth has said but for the most part the power they are supplying can be shut down with the throw of a transfer switch (if you can find it) or killing the unit with the emergency shutdown. I carry a simple tester with me to check outlets, switches etc. for those "smell of electrical burning" calls. Greenly makes a very good and reliable tester available at home depot for about $15. The best way I have found to ensure power is off is to simply assume it isn't. Stay safe folks.

You also have to look out for "False Neutral", when two wires become in contact with each other and make a complete circuit, even though the power is cut there is still juice in this circuit that can fry anyone. This also happens when the weekend warrior tries to re-wire his/her own house without hiring electricians and they ground it wrong, or wire the rooms wrong...its a dangerous thing. Be careful.