Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firemoose827

Personal Rescue Systems

5 posts in this topic

I was at an officers meeting last night and we discussed the purchase of a self-rescue system for our interior firefighters, as well as the drafting of the SOP's for the use of these systems. We are a small department with only a handfull of interiors, but we go mutual aid to a larger department with a large area, industrial and commercial properties, as well as a SUNY college. So as you can see, we are facing some issues in regards to what system we can afford, what system will work for both our district and our mutual aid territory, and what training/requirements to make for our interiors to maintain this.

If anyone has experience with this, and maybe has a copy of a generic SOP for the use of the systems I would like to get some advice from you and maybe a look at the SOP so we have something to go on when we write ours. Any advice would be appreciated though as I know there is a vast collection of knowledge and experience on these forums.

Thanks, and stay safe.

Moose.

In my department back home we got personal bail out systems. We have had them for about two years now. All our interior members are given bail out harnesses that we got from rocknrescue.com. I'm not sure what kind of turnout gear you guys have (i.e if you planned for this earlier and have bunkers with harness loops). This company offers personal bailout harnesses for firefighters. We also give our members around 35 feet if rope with a carabiner. I'll be heading home tonight so i'll try to get you a copy of our SOPs for our bailout system. If not i'll be home this weekend and i can get a copy and send it to you

If you start with an SOP, you are working backwards. THe law requires you 1st do a risk assessment, then after determining your needs based on the type of structures you need to purchase and train. The SOP needs to be developed after you have made your purchasing determination. But before it goes inservice, as you will need to include the SOP in the training.