Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
INIT915

THR: Grant to fund 24 hour staffing

13 posts in this topic

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110512/NEWS/110519943

The Firemen's Association of the State of New York will receive a $4.3 million federal grant to aid in recruiting firefighters over the next four years, Sens. Chuck Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand announced Wednesday.

The grant is round 20 in a series of grants administered by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. This round is aimed at maintaining 24-hour staffing in fire departments, particularly volunteer departments.

Ambitious goal. Obtainable?

With some creativity, it can be done, but it takes a lot of work. In Wallingford they recruited several UNH students to cover engine companies during weekdays. We're up to about 2 days a week of coverage, working on getting more organized and being able to cover more days. To set up this program took alot of admin work, training (since everybody comes from different departments with different SOPs) and communication (with the Chiefs, the volunteer companies we're working at, and the student firefighters themselves) but so far its been an awesome program. "Bunking" programs have been pretty effective down South, and they are starting to make a foothold in CT.

Obviously not every community has a college nearby, but its just an example of things that can be do.

No grant money was harmed during the creation of this program...

Yes, it's called career staffing.

While I whole heartedly agree, some towns in NYS cannot even afford turnout gear or maintenance on their equipment, let alone 24/7 career staffing. Having a bunk in program like many departments do, particularly in Prince George County, MD, is a fantastic way to supplement a lack of manpower. Their programs are highly successful (probably because of the amount of work that they catch) and students line up to be part of the live in program each semester.

Yes, it's called career staffing.

Yes, thank you for stating the obvious. However, this grant is not directed at career staffing.

Well, $4.3M wouldn't be able to career staff Orange County, much less the whole state. I think the money would be better spent doing something else because quite honestly, I think it will be spent doing research or for some marketing program that will do little to help the situation. The rural areas of the state may very well be able to provide a satisfying level of fire protection with volunteer staff, but the suburban sprawl in the Hudson Valley has outpaced the real ability of the volunteer services to provide the service that is now expected in many areas. I have nothing against volunteers at all (in fact, I am one) but there are some places that need to take a long, hard look at the service they are providing and the expectations of the community. There are some departments that should have taken this same look 10 years ago and still haven't. There is absolutely a lot of cost involved but certain segments of the area serviced by EMTBravo really need to bring their concerns to the community and let them know 1) what service they are really getting now, 2) what service can be provided, and 3) how much that additional service will cost. Let the communities decide.

While I whole heartedly agree, some towns in NYS cannot even afford turnout gear or maintenance on their equipment, let alone 24/7 career staffing. Having a bunk in program like many departments do, particularly in Prince George County, MD, is a fantastic way to supplement a lack of manpower. Their programs are highly successful (probably because of the amount of work that they catch) and students line up to be part of the live in program each semester.

I'll be the first to admit what I know about "bunk in programs" is from what I read on online firefighter forums. In my opinion it's a form of compensated staffing, free rent for making calls. Are there enough towns with all volunteer dept's with college's close by to make this happen? Shouldn't those dept's be making this move if there is a need for it?

My family has a place in upstate and our local fd does about 80 calls a year, is there a great need for a bunk in program there?

Also is this grant bascially saying that the respond from home to firehouse and then to the call an unsafe practice?

Bunk ins work where there is enough activity to keep people interested. No one is going to pull shifts at the firehouse to run no hitters and BS EMS runs. And honestly, I know people will get offended but it makes me absolutely sick to my stomach when we got guys getting laid off and companies closed in cities and the money earmarked for FDs goes to "studies" and "recruitment" events for VFDs.

My family has a place in upstate and our local fd does about 80 calls a year, is there a great need for a bunk in program there?

Also is this grant bascially saying that the respond from home to firehouse and then to the call an unsafe practice?

Clearly in a community where the FD only goes out once or twice per week there isn't much need for in-house staffing (whether paid or volunteer). If the volume is that low, is it safe to say that the population (and attendant traffic issues) is also very low and it is a mostly rural/agriculture type community?

This program is best suited toward those departments with high volume and low membership so they can "guarantee" a timely initial response with appropriate staffing. Think of those departments that go out 3-4 times a day and rely on mutual aid for a room and contents fire. That's the kind of department that would benefit from this.

This grant is acknowledging that a properly staffed initial response is the best form of delivery in the fire service and is striving toward that as its goal. Nowhere in anything that I've read in the grant guidance does it suggest anything about whether or not a response from home to the FD is unsafe. Don't know where you're getting that from.

Clearly in a community where the FD only goes out once or twice per week there isn't much need for in-house staffing (whether paid or volunteer). If the volume is that low, is it safe to say that the population (and attendant traffic issues) is also very low and it is a mostly rural/agriculture type community?

This program is best suited toward those departments with high volume and low membership so they can "guarantee" a timely initial response with appropriate staffing. Think of those departments that go out 3-4 times a day and rely on mutual aid for a room and contents fire. That's the kind of department that would benefit from this.

This grant is acknowledging that a properly staffed initial response is the best form of delivery in the fire service and is striving toward that as its goal. Nowhere in anything that I've read in the grant guidance does it suggest anything about whether or not a response from home to the FD is unsafe. Don't know where you're getting that from.

From the short article in the link there is talk of staffing firehouses 24/7 not adequate staffing. To me it seems that this is about getting rigs on the road and cutting the delay out of home/work to firehouse to call aspect of the volunter service. I meant unsafe to the people who need a rig wherever they and need it now as opposed to unsafe for firefighters driving to the firehouse/call.

From the short article in the link there is talk of staffing firehouses 24/7 not adequate staffing. To me it seems that this is about getting rigs on the road and cutting the delay out of home/work to firehouse to call aspect of the volunter service. I meant unsafe to the people who need a rig wherever they and need it now as opposed to unsafe for firefighters driving to the firehouse/call.

You're right. More information is needed. I interpreted the staffing to mean adequatel staffing but as you point out that isn't clearly stated so it may not be a requirement.

Leave it to the federal government to create a grant program that will pay for inadequate staffing. :blink:

MODERATOR NOTE:

Posts quoting or referencing a post that was deleted by the staff have also been removed. I apologize for any inconvenience but an account was established specifically to create problems and that will not be tolerated.