Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
joetnymedic

Just what would you do on this call?

16 posts in this topic

Hard to believe the treatment was as simple as "burp and fart the air out". You would think that there would be some deep seated complications from that much 3rd spaced air between subcutaneous tissue and muscle at that much pressure in addition to the risk of air embolisms system wide.

Theres not much to do, pull the hose out, and the body will reabsorb the air within a couple of days. As long as the guy doesnt have a tension pneumo, or s/s of cardiac tamponade then you'd be fine. People get subcutaneous emphysema all the time and it goes away after a coulple days...

Edited by RNEMT26

I would tie some strings to him and carry him in the Thanksgiving parade

LOVE IT!!!

Acupuncture.:rolleyes:

Would have loved to heard that conversation, "Sorry honey I'm under doctors orders to belch and fart"

Edited by grumpyff

Cut the hose obviously, bandage and hold said hose in place, keep patient comfortable, and transport. Above all, maintain some form of composure and professionalism.

"Emergency personnel arrived nearly an hour later" remind me to never get hurt in NZ...........

and in some Westchester community's as well :D

Edited by 99subi
Haggerty 1029 and newsbuff like this

Laugh take photos post to Facebook & twitter laugh some more get a needle out and start popping him like a balloon transport.

Just kidding, act professional and transport to hospital then laugh and tell all my friends

Pump the brakes...it will lower the air pressure

Thank goodness for junior men---ok stand here and make sure he farts!!!

Leave the hose in and attach a Scott adapter... pay him a few bucks and make him the new MSU/cascade.

Edited by JohnnyOV

I would have loved to see the EMT starting the line on him when the needle shot out! Must have been priceless! :lol:

Would warm compresses work to get the air out faster in this case? Open the poors and move more air out.

Monitor for breathing and heart issues and transport, and NO OXYGEN! (unless dyspnea present but why fill with more air?) :rolleyes:

i can see going with impaled object protocol but other than that i'd be at a loss. i did notice the unit for his lungs on the bed so i'm sure that at least one of his lungs collapsed. do needle decompression? i'm really at a loss here that's why i'm asking

As long he has his ABC's, I'm stabilizing the hose due to the fact that it's an impaled object, putting him on his side, and maybe considering backboarding him, depending on what I would find on my assessment. Above all else, we're heading to the trauma center with a level 2 activation, possibly even level 1, depending on if his ABC's start to compensate and/or deteriorate.

Mike