Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
m2c6w

City Of Newburgh FD Testing Open

11 posts in this topic

Applications for the City of Newburgh Fire Department come out today. They are availible at City Hall on lower Broadway.

Are you sure? I called on Thursday and they told me the announcement wasn't coming out until Monday 4/18. They are also going to be closed 4/26. They also said that if I wasn't a city resident I would almost definitely have to be a resident to get hired.

The last filing date is May 11th. City residents get preferance but there's still a good shot for county residents.

I am going to be realistic and speak the truth. I am not bursting anyone's bubble but if you aren't a city resident at the time of application you shouldn't be looking to get this job. I got this information from someone in city hall. There is going to be 3 lists; a city list, a spanish speaking firefighter list, and a county list. They just held the agility test for county residents who scored the highest on the last written test (which was adminstered 4 years ago). The department was looking to hire these guys, but the city gave them a hard time and asked them to hold off until the new test list comes out so that they can hire city residents. I believe on the last test you had 90 days after the results were posted to move into the city- this time you don't. If you dont' live in the city at the time of application you are going to need some kind of miracle to get the job there. I found this info out after I made my $40 "donation" to the city civil service commission. Good luck on June 4th.

I got this information from someone in city hall.  There is going to be 3 lists; a city list, a spanish speaking firefighter list, and a county list.

This is total Bull@#$% that you get to be pick off of a spanish speaking list , What the hell does that have to do with fighting fires. What a Crock! What about all other language's. [-X

What's next. :sad:

I am going to be realistic and speak the truth.  I am not bursting anyone's bubble but if you aren't a city resident at the time of application you shouldn't be looking to get this job.  I got this information from someone in city hall.  There is going to be 3 lists; a city list, a spanish speaking firefighter list, and a county list.  They just held the agility test for county residents who scored the highest on the last written test (which was adminstered 4 years ago).  The department was looking to hire these guys, but the city gave them a hard time and asked them to hold off until the new test list comes out so that they can hire city residents.  I believe on the last test you had 90 days after the results were posted to move into the city- this time you don't.  If you dont' live in the city at the time of application you are going to need some kind of miracle to get the job there.  I found this info out after I made my $40 "donation" to the city civil service commission.  Good luck on June 4th.

410eng,

YOUR 100% Right !!! Thanks for the Info !!!!!! ](*,)

I have to say that I do agree with pbvpm that the spanish speaking list is a crock. Now on the last list only 2 FF were hired of the city list. I was hired off the county list almost 2 years ago. 3 more FF's come on after me also from the county list. In a couple of weeks another FF is coming on, off the county list. I could be wrong but I dont think many of the people taking the test are from the city. And with almost a third of the job eligible for retirement I think your going to see alot of hirings. Im just putting some info out there. To those of you who did sign up, Good Luck and maybe some day I'll see you on the job.

April 25, 2005

City seeks bilingual firefighters

By John Doherty

Times Herald-Record

jdoherty@th-record.com

Newburgh – In a city that is between one-third and one-half Latino, it makes sense that a firefighter banging on apartment doors during a blaze should be able to speak Spanish.

Yet of the 61 firefighters on the city department, only three can speak Spanish.

"Obviously we need to be able to communicate directly with the public in a crisis situation," Fire Chief Jim Merritt said Thursday. "Sometimes, with only three Spanish-speaking firefighters, that can be difficult."

To address that, the city is offering the civil service firefighters exam in Spanish for the first time. The exam is scheduled for June 4 and the application deadline is May 11. Those who pass the written test and an oral language proficiency exam will be placed on a list of preferred candidates for posts in the department.

The city Fire Department currently has two openings, with starting salaries at $36,330.

The decision comes after a similar Spanish language exam held in December for police officer candidates: the city's first foreign language civil service exam.

"Latinos are the largest single population in our city and its important that our department reflect that," Merritt said. "By having them, we can learn more about the community's culture, what their needs and issues are."

Civil service requirements mean that many of the most recent Spanish-speaking arrivals to Newburgh cannot qualify. U.S. citizenship is required.

"I think this would appeal to a lot of the second-generation Latinos here, people who not only want the job, but are interested in serving the community" said City councilwoman Elsa Figueroa-App, a member of the city's Hispanic community. "There are a lot of Puerto Ricans and other Hispanics who have been here for awhile."

The city has had trouble keeping pace in their hiring with Newburgh's racial and ethnic diversity. The police and fire departments not only have few bilingual officers, but few women: the Fire Department has no female firefighters.

I looked for a while for Newburgh's test and never saw it then about a week ago I found it and found I missed the cut off date. But reading what has been said i'm almost glad because I don't live in orange but am relatively close to Pine Bush. Shame to miss a test for a good paying job but I guess i'll have to see what else is out there