Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Malloy sends 57 Connecticut State Troopers to the unemployment line...

4 posts in this topic

Malloy sends 57 Connecticut State Troopers to the unemployment line...

Jonathan Pelto

New Haven Advocate

10:05 a.m. EDT, July 14, 2011

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) -- Fifty seven newest state troopers have received layoff notices in a first wave of job cut….State Police spokesman Lt. J. Paul Vance tells The Hartford Courant that the layoffs are scheduled to take effect in about six weeks, on Aug. 21. Troopers being laid off are the most recent graduates of the police academy.”

FULL ARTICLE: http://www.newhavenadvocate.com/news/blogs/peltos-point/nh-malloy-sends-57-connecticut-state-troopers-to-the-unemployment-line-20110714,0,2539591.story

My friend's step-daughter is one of those being laid off as she was from the last graduating class. This shouldn't be happening as the CSP is already down approximately 151 members and there are an expected an approximate 200 retirements that will happen by the end of this year. Also the rumors of closing Troops I (Bethany) and B (Canaan) are going around again. B covers a very large area of towns that do not have their own police force and I covers 95% of New Haven county (with the exception Interstate 95 which is covered by G), one of the most populous regions in the state.

Just doesn't make sense.

57 troopers are only the tip of the iceberg....

Newly formed Department of emergency services and Public Protection = 300 [fire academy, state police, university police, state firefighters - aka- state institutions and airports]

Department of corrections - 863

1100 workers directly linked to public safety .

In addition to the troops Izzy mentioned, the closing of state police dispatching at two other troops.

Phil, my cousin is up at the HQ MSG CNTR, I'll check which dispatch is going where. Rumors that have been floating around are Troop-I will be heading to either HQ or G, B and A will merge with Troop L, and a couple others going to E and K. As for Troop W, another rumor was with the new "Airport Authority" who knows what will happen there. Not sure if any of the dispatchers are on the chopping block, there is not many of them anyway for CSP.

Again just rumors and hearsay, trying to find out what is what. I still have a lot of friends working dispatch statewide.