Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
38ff

Fire Musters. A dying breed?

4 posts in this topic

Seems years ago there were musters all over the Northeast. Most notably, the Fairchester Hose Haulers at Valhalla. Now, there seem to be fewer and fewer. I feel that musters are a good tradition that should be kept alive. Will there be musters in 10 or 15 years from now, or will they all die out? I hope not. How can we keep them alive?

It is difficult in this day and age to attract younger generations to this hobby due to electronics and social distractions. Most SPAAMFAA chapters throughout the country continue to have their annual musters and shows. Support and participation in these events helps to keep the tradition alive.

I make it to about 5-8 musters per year, and try to bring the family along to most of them. They make for enjoyable family outings, and I get to scour the fleamrkets for pieces I am looking for. The next big one is SPAAMFAA's big one in Syracuse in 2 weeks. It's a shame these events arent better attended.

Remembering where our fire service came from and is going is very important. It also helps us better understand it.

I wish our muster could be what it used to be as well, but without the draw of "the big warehouse" and it's contents, we'd be lucky to still have one at all.