Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Geppetto

Bank to Texas Department: Pay up or we'll take your fire truck

17 posts in this topic

WOAI News

08/15/11

SAN ANTONIO - Pay up or we'll take your truck! ATA-Bexar Volunteer Fire Department received a notice demanding nearly $10,000, or the bank would take their main fire truck.

"It's scary. It's scary," assistant chief Doug Inmon said. Inmon says in the past, the Emergency Services District # 6 has always made all of their payments on the truck. He was shocked to receive the letter demanding payment at the beginning of this month.

"That's our primary engine. That's what we use to fight fires," he said....

http://www.woai.com/news/local/story/Pay-up-or-well-take-your-fire-truck/aVX9gkKpqEyS0BjL-GxIKw.cspx

Its like anyone else. if you don't make your car payments, the financier takes it away.

Could see the headlines now, "Bank reposes fire truck from fire scene. Firefighters left holding waterless hoses. News at 11" :blink:

Think will see it on Operation Repo lol

Maybe "Repo Games" They are out that way!

All it is is basically an ESD (sort of like a Texas version of a Fire District-Emergency Services District) who pays for what battle. It's been an ongoing situation....

http://atabexarvfd.org/esd.html

Also, it's to note that a lot of ESD's contract with municiplaities or neighborhoods for fire coverage, especially in unincorporated areas.

And Bexar County is pronounced "Bear" county......there's a lot of that kind of thing. This ESD is in a VERY rural part of this county.

Its like anyone else. if you don't make your car payments, the financier takes it away.

Except in this case it could potentially put the lives of the residents at risk.

"Tell Michael it was only business."

Except in this case it could potentially put the lives of the residents at risk.

... that's the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard anyone say to me on this board.......... i mean if that is how you want to think why not just give firetrucks and ambulances away i mean they save lives so it makes sense right? how about doctors perform heart surgery for free it will save that persons life.... good lord.... that's like hey i didn't pay for this wheel chair in full and i haven't made a payment in years but you cant take it from me because i wont be able to get around....

Edited by 99subi
Alpinerunner and helicopper like this

... that's the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard anyone say to me on this board.......... i mean if that is how you want to think why not just give firetrucks and ambulances away i mean they save lives so it makes sense right? how about doctors perform heart surgery for free it will save that persons life.... good lord.... that's like hey i didn't pay for this wheel chair in full and i haven't made a payment in years but you cant take it from me because i wont be able to get around....

Relax pal. Some how I don't think you'd get the picture no matter how patiently I tried to explain it. Let it go.

Relax pal. Some how I don't think you'd get the picture no matter how patiently I tried to explain it. Let it go.

Id like to hear how you came up with that.

Who's responsible for putting lives at risk here? The bank or the people that entered into an agreement that they're having trouble living with?

The bank is already contributing to the funding of that truck through taxes. They didn't agree to contribute more funds through charity and then renege. I hate when the media spins these things to make the bank look like the bad guy for collecting debts according to the contract.

It's simple, really. If you borrow money, you're responsible for repaying it. Ultimately, the FD IS taking responsibility and paying the bill out of their savings. The issue really seems to be that the ESD budget isn't covering the FD operating expenses and the two organizations have communication issues that have stymied negotiations.

That this ended up in the media with this sort of spin to it is kind of sad. You've got to wonder how this attitude plays out on the fireground.

"That cop made the grab when FD was on scene so I'm going to sit here in the yard and do nothing. Let them put the fire out."

And of course the headlines the next day: "Police Interfere with FD Operations. Building Lost."

helicopper likes this

Then they should have made the payments, huh?

Read the link I posted above. Far more complicated then a possible repo.

Then they should have made the payments, huh?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that anyone in here has advocated that they shouldn't have made the payments. I believe the main thrust of the post was, right or wrong, repossessing the truck could put the citizens at risk if it was needed at an emergency scene and they had to wait for a mutual aid truck to arrive.

Wow! It is FAR more complicated and deeper then everyone is making it out to be.....would someone just READ THIS LINK AND THE ARTICLES:

http://atabexarvfd.org/esd.html

It's not like they took out a loan and defaulted on it, it's a MUCH bigger situation.

Again: http://atabexarvfd.org/esd.html