Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dadbo46

Batteries in Electric Cars Examined After Chevy Volt Fire

5 posts in this topic

From today's NY Times:

Batteries in Electric Cars Examined After Chevy Volt Fire

By NICK BUNKLEY

DETROIT — Federal safety regulators said Friday that they were examining lithium-ion batteries used in electric cars because a Chevrolet Volt ignited three weeks after it underwent a crash test.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/12/business/energy-environment/regulators-examine-electric-car-batteries-after-fire.html?_r=1&nl=todaysheadlines&emc=tha25

It was only a matter of time. This is what happens when you try to get a product on the market fast before you do all the necessary testing. Glad no one was injured.

Edited by firedude

Large capacity lithium batteries have been on the market for years. They're well tested. The only thing new is the packaging. In this case, these batteries store a substantial amount of energy that is supposed to be discharged before storage after an accident. How does this make the product itself unsafe?

Large capacity lithium batteries have been on the market for years. They're well tested. The only thing new is the packaging. In this case, these batteries store a substantial amount of energy that is supposed to be discharged before storage after an accident. How does this make the product itself unsafe?

From what I know, lithium batteries were discoved in the 70's and sold to the public in the 80-90's. They started to add them to cars within the past 10 years. You brough up a major issue, discharge and storage after an incidend. Another major issue with lithium batteries is disposal. It has to be recycled in a specal facility. All I tried to say in my first post was that manafactures have expidided reserch and development to meet demand. And that they have overthought many things. Reminds me of the issues Tata Nano had in India.

again, just my 2 cents

Edited by firedude

Discharging is easy from what I understand. Like all things related to the big automakers you just have to over pay for the capacitor they sell to do it.

Recycling is another issue and a big secret the green movement isn't fond of. Gas and diesel are still greener vehicles than hybrids and a electrics over the entire life of the vehicle from construction through destruction.