Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
csf248

Any FDNY members here?

24 posts in this topic

There is a bunch of FDNY people on here.. If you got questions we got answers

Questions? Alright, here's one. How high on the current list (2043) can one reasonably expect the city to go? I'm told they have already reached list # 1000, give or take.

Thanks

I've heard that letters were sent up to 1600 thru 2100 in March and they may be calling up another 250-500 more in late May/early June. Just keep runnin, and do pull ups/push ups and you should be fine. And when you get that call and get to the Rock, keep you're mouth shut and learn the job..... :wink:

haha, well, keeping my mouth shut is certainly a must so I hear and I DO understand. However, my non-resident status isn't gonna help me get there any time soon. Thanks for the info.

non-resident status isn't gonna help me

All that was taking into effect already. If you have your list number then you know what it is. Things that will effect you are People that were skipped over for Credits and CFR stuff. When they get the stuff together then they go back to the top of the list.

250 to enter the academy at the end of may

any one here work in manhattan

also how do i get on the list

I was a dispatcher in Manhattan from 98-02 if that helps. And you have to take the test(written) and pass the physical to get on the list.

i was at the medical office last week , i sa w a guy there getting his medical for the job and i think he said he was like 1,400 on the list

JBE,

How are the volunteer fire and ambulance companies in NYC dispatched? Do they just listen to the scanner and buff calls?

I read somewhere that Richmond E&H Co. (Staten Island) is the only volly company in the city dispatched by the FDNY. Is this accurate?

Thanks!

The FDNY still has Vollie companies?? Just for show? or do they have a function?

There are approximately ten volunteer fire departments inside the city limits. They are separate entities from the FDNY. There are two that are recognized by the City. Those are Richmond Engine and Oceanic FD in SI. They are dispatched by the FDNY. As a matter of fact, any box that is in their response area actually says RVFD or OVFD on the assignment card. (They were there before FDNY)

There are 5 in Queens, West Hamilton Beach, which is in between Howard Beach and Kennedy Airport. Broad Channel, in between Howard Beach and Rockaway. Rockaway Point, Point Breeze and Roxbury. All of these communities are isolated and it's a bit of a haul for FDNY companies to get in there.

Brooklyn has Gerritsen Beach. The Bronx has Edgewater Park and Aviation. Aviation is best known for getting a bunch of rigs donated to them after Sept. 11th,(a lot of controversy about that, too) and then losing their firehouse(Vacated by 47 Truck and the 6th Division, it was falling down).

There are numerous volunteer ambulance corps in the city, they are dispatched by FDNY*EMS as needed to incidents, but only if they have checked in with the EMS Dispatchers that they are crewed and ready. Then you have Hatzoloh, which operates outside of that system. You have hospitals that have their own ambulances and most of them are in the 911 system.(I'm going by memory/presumption here so correct me if I am wrong)

The volunteer departments here are not for show. There are times, because of those long responses, that sometimes they are operating before or arrivng simultaneously with FDNY assets. Many of them are all state trained and regularly attend classes out at the Nassau County Fire Academy. Broad Channel, for all the problems they had in the past, actually have a pretty good relationship with the units in the 47 Battalion. Not too sure about the other Rockaway Vollies. West Hamilton Beach is not very well liked by the local fire companies, and they have a serious manpower problem. As for the Volunteer ambulance corps, I was a member of one in the Bronx when I first got on the job, saw close to the same BS that I saw when I was a member of Lake Carmel, and I walked after one meeting.

Thanks for the info, JBE.

I believe some of the volunteer fire companies attend the Mamaroneck Parade. I remember seeing Broad Channel FD there once, and maybe another one. Can someone from VMFD confirm this?

They were there, Tbendick has photos of them on his site.

I think West Hamilton Beach is on Queen's morning voice alarm check at the very end i heard they had personnel there during the day.

Being I am a SFAD in Queens, I can confirm this. They also have a VA set up for Broad Channel, but I don't think it works. Something to do with a rig backing into it.

An ex-member of my company used to be a volunteer in the Aviation company before moving up to Westchester. One night, we had nothing to do, so he took me to their firehouse. It was probably around 22:00HRS and there were at least 10 to 15 firemen there. For the somewhat small area they cover, they do an awsome job!

I'm originally from the Bronx, near Edgewater Vol Fire Company. Where exactly is Aviation located?

They are way down on Gildersleeve Avenue in Clasons point. It's an isolated area in Soundview wherre it takes FDNY a while to get to. They don't have a home right now though.

where do they keep their rigs then

i heard the next fdny test is in the fall 0f 2006, i checked online and noticed something about, a promotion exam, which is for emts getting permoted to firefighters. For those of you out there who went through the system and know the deal, whats the best way to sign up to take the test, and get "the book" to study.

thanks.

tim