Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
notch138

Landing Zone Question

6 posts in this topic

Yesterday afternoon Wappingers F.D. was called out to set up an LZ at Imperial Plaza for a subject with burns. I don't see an issue with what the call was or were the LZ was at all.

What I do have a question about is can Dutchess County Airport be used as an LZ, and if not, why?

I know that you can use an area hospital (ex: Putnam) as an LZ unless the pt goes into the ER, I understand why.

Yes, any airport can be used as an LZ. But, access to the runways can be an issue. There has been a big effort lately to secure general aviation fields so without preplanning for access i.e. Putting keys on the ambulances this could be a challenge.

Land Zones are often somewhat close to the scene it's quicker then going to the airport. Regardless of and emergency or not before a vehicle can go onto an airfield it needs to me checked. Thus causing the lack of time that you don't have if Stat Flight is called. The only vehicles that don't require to be checked are airport vehicles.

Yes, any airport can be used as an LZ. But, access to the runways can be an issue. There has been a big effort lately to secure general aviation fields so without preplanning for access i.e. Putting keys on the ambulances this could be a challenge.

Like you would know... :P

Yesterday afternoon Wappingers F.D. was called out to set up an LZ at Imperial Plaza for a subject with burns. I don't see an issue with what the call was or were the LZ was at all.

What I do have a question about is can Dutchess County Airport be used as an LZ, and if not, why?

I know that you can use an area hospital (ex: Putnam) as an LZ unless the pt goes into the ER, I understand why.

Using an airport can have it's own implications if there is an active schedule. Using off-site locations makes this one less issue to contend with.