Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EJS1810

Why is an ambulance called a "bus"?

16 posts in this topic

Zero tolerance for cool city slang. Can someone tell me why everyone has to call an Ambulance a bus?

Zero tolerance for cool city slang.  Can someone tell me why everyone has to call an Ambulance a bus?

Becuase people are lazy and would rather say a 1 syllable word than a 3 syllabe word. That's my guss anyway. :-k

In the city, some of the peeps are too poor for regular medical care/ and or a taxi, so they use ems as a bus to go to the hospital to see a doctor for a checkup. #-o

I believe it started at NYC EMS in the OLD days. I have heard different accounts how it started over the years.

Because bus is THE true NY term for an ambulance! I can't call it anything else....except when around 636!!

Seems like every region has its own term for a bus. New England it's car or rescue, in the midwest it's a squad, in California its a Rescue or Ambulance, etc etc

And 648 is right, it takes entirely too much effort to say "ambulance"

It looks like a little school bus, aka the Small bus. When riding in the back, most of us forget our helmets and dribble cups. At least its not that ugly yellow color though.

So can I say "Fly" "Fly Car" is to much effort for me. 648 would that be OK?

When do you hear "Paramedic" over the air no you hear "Medic" so 648 is it to much effort to say paramedic? It is you fault

Works for me! - excpet for the fact about it being my fault. It has been confirmed that it is Dennis' fault. I do not blame you anymore.

LONG LIVE REGIONAL LINGO!! I'm all for the regions nick names, its doesn't impeed service and it helps the services retain some character.

Zero tolerance for cool city slang.  Can someone tell me why everyone has to call an Ambulance a bus?

Ambulance=Bus

Parimedic= medic

Apparatus= rig

Helicopter= bird

Nozzle= Knob

and I am sure there is alot more.

:twisted: Putnam 911" the bus is waiting for the bird to land"

Long live slang

I call it a bus, because I call it a bus. Has nothing to do with "cool city slang." When I was on the other job, we called them cruisers. So not everyone abides by buff law. lol.

Zero tolerance for cool city slang.  Can someone tell me why everyone has to call an Ambulance a bus?

Ambulance=Bus

Parimedic= medic

Apparatus= rig

Helicopter= bird

Nozzle= Knob

and I am sure there is alot more.

:twisted: Putnam 911" the bus is waiting for the bird to land"

Long live slang

Don't forget about BUFF! :wink:

Probie ! :wink:

For all who use putnam 911, When Dispatcher 410 is working show your love for city slang and end every message with "K". I belive he expresed his view on this in a eairler post.

In my former life you would have gotten LMNOP if you gave me a K. Now in the "Warm & Fuzzy" World..........................

" WARM and FUZZY " Ed, I dont know if we are all ready for that....Bad mental picture...lmao

Sounds "cooler" than calling it an "ambalamps" (I, too, work in Harlem)