Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tommyguy

Yonkers - Vacant House Fire, 3 Alarms 1/7/12

3 posts in this topic

This occurred early Saturday morning. The incident report shows this event required a lot of manpower and the location probably made it even more difficult for fire crews. Looks like Yonkers FD did a pretty nice job. Greenville, Mount Vernon and New Rochelle all supplied MA to cover several YFD firehouses.

All of this going on in the middle of the night while I was blissfully sawing wood and not many blocks away! :rolleyes:

The link below has a video.

http://www.lohud.com/article/20120108/NEWS02/301080053/Fire-vacant-Yonkers-house-hops-brush-2-hurt?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Frontpage|s

I had a call to that house once around 2002 and there was a family living there at the time and the house was in a state of disrepair. Last spring my unit had the occasion to search this now vacant house and the large garage that is next to it. The house was in dangerous disrepair but you could tell that in it's time it was a beautiful home. If I remember correctly the home used to be used as a convent for the nuns who were assigned to the former Elizabeth Seton College on North Broadway. There was even remnants of a garden in the back and side of the house with stone benches that once graced the property.

The garage was a large building with at least one and maybe 2 levels that went below the ground and I believe one or 2 levels above ground. I haven't seen any pictures yet of this building yet to see if it too was involved in the fire.

Thankfully there were no serious injuries and the brush fires were put out before they were able to endanger any other structures.

batt2 likes this

I had a call to that house once around 2002 and there was a family living there at the time and the house was in a state of disrepair. Last spring my unit had the occasion to search this now vacant house and the large garage that is next to it. The house was in dangerous disrepair but you could tell that in it's time it was a beautiful home. If I remember correctly the home used to be used as a convent for the nuns who were assigned to the former Elizabeth Seton College on North Broadway. There was even remnants of a garden in the back and side of the house with stone benches that once graced the property.

The garage was a large building with at least one and maybe 2 levels that went below the ground and I believe one or 2 levels above ground. I haven't seen any pictures yet of this building yet to see if it too was involved in the fire.

Thankfully there were no serious injuries and the brush fires were put out before they were able to endanger any other structures.

In the same article, there's a photo of the structure the next day with half the building collapsed.