Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CAM502

Fire suppression for Aircraft Incidents.

4 posts in this topic

hoss49 wrote: "CAM, you're probably right but then let's start a thread on Fire Suppression for Aircraft Incidents. Since that's the direction the latest posts seem to be taking, I'll ask for my post to be moved there. What do you think ?"

Ok so here it is. What is the county response plan? What do people feel the proper response should be (if the current plan is deemed unacceptable)? Plans for difficult terrain? Streching long distance? Specialized equipment?? Off road appartatus.....ETC??

Also,

Who's in command?

What is the EMS plan?

What do the local hospitals do to prepare?

I hate to be a kill joy, yes wishful thinking is nice, but we cant even upgrade our radio system let alone pay for a multi-million dollar ARFF truck.

On another note, i know that according to the FAA, WCA is an index B airport which requires 1-2 ARFF certified trucks, and only ONE person staffed at a time. What I woud like to know is

1)was WCA ARFF dispatched to the scene?

2)how can ONE person safely and effectivly secure an emergency scene of a downed aircraft with upto 170 people aboard for a given amount of time?!

3)If there can be two ARFF trucks at an airport, how can ONE person man both of them?!?!

Anywho, check out this website for helpful ARFF info and planning

http://www.emergency-management.net/pub7.htm

its hard to believe that the county airport does not employ a "fulltime" staffed dept. with the amount of flights that go in and out of there on a daily basis i know that its only a matter of time before a major aircraft incident happens.On an airfield fire protection is a must regardless of the classification the faa gives to the field, when you deal with aircraft you deal with large amounts of fuel(depending on the size of the bird) and a strong possibility of an mci incident. the wc airport has some nice up to date arff rigs but like anything else the manpower is needed to effectively attack and extinguish a fuel fed fire. The other part is when the incident happens people need to be rescued and time is an important point here. the automatic mutual plan is not going to have help there within a short period of time. the surrounding depts do respond in and may have a good response time but not like the time that it would take a arff rig to get to the ramp or runway where the incident may take place. this is a problem throughout the nation and i often wonder if the faa is really on top of things. just a thought- b safe!