Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
masterofmetal85

Connecticut Drivers License Needed for EMS?

9 posts in this topic

I had an interview with Hunter in meriden yesterday (Fri 1/27/11) it went very well except for the fact that the person interviewing me stated that a CT drivers license was needed to work there. He advised me to call the local DMV and inquire with them how to get one. After speaking with the DMV on the phone I was told I needed a CT address in order to obtain a license which makes sense, which inhibits me from gaining employment at Hunter. I then went to AMR @ bridgeport and spoke with an HR rep named Cindy (who happened to be a very nice person) she gave me an informal interview on the spot and I filled out the application but she said that a CT drivers license was needed within 31 days of hire. Then she backtracked and said that they have a person or two working @ bridgeport from NY and she would get back to me.

So my questions are: does anyone know if a CT drivers license needed for every EMS agency in the state? Is there a way to bypass the ones that do with getting it without a CT address?

I worked for several years in Ct as a NY resident with a NY drivers license. Never had an issue. Hope this helps.

At my police department where have residency within 25 miles of headquarters since we are the last town on 91 guys live in Mass, work in ct with a mass license and they have ct EMT or MRT/EMR certs.

I worked for several years in Ct as a NY resident with a NY drivers license. Never had an issue. Hope this helps.

Me too, though a commercial agency may have it's own policies it needs to follow.

although this was years ago, I worked in both NY and CT I was working in CT when I had my NY license and in CT with NY. It might just be a thing with that particular agencys insurance company. Some states such as Floorida had, or have an instate only license which you can get if you juggle your residency between two states. I really dont recall CT as having that option though.

More than likely it's an agency / private company policy that you will be required to operate with a valid CT license more than likely to drive their rigs and for their insurance. Each one is different, AMR Bridgeport and AMR New Haven actually operate slightly different from each other (why I don't). But anyhow as for having a CT EMT / Medic license, yes you have to have that but unless th4e agency states otherwise, you shouldn't have to get a CT diver's license unless you are driving a vehicle in state that is a municipal vehicle, is over 26,0001 lbs. for emergency service (aka fire trucks) or a vehicle that requires a CDL.

Edited by IzzyEng4

I guess you're right its agency specific because Danbury Ambulance doesn't require it neither does ASM/Aetna still waiting to hear what the story is with AMR but I doubt they need one because I know someone who lives in the bronx and works per diem at the new haven location is any case thanks for the heads up

IzzyEng4 likes this

I spoke with the HR rep @ amrbp and she said she's waiting to hear back from some other manager as to whether a ct drivers license is needed either within 31 days or 1 year because she doesn't know herself so.....

I spoke with the HR rep @ amrbp and she said she's waiting to hear back from some other manager as to whether a ct drivers license is needed either within 31 days or 1 year because she doesn't know herself so.....

At least they are checking on thier policies.