Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Tankers, Tenders, And NIMS Compliance

5 posts in this topic

Please note, this is not something I agree with.

According to NIMS, a Tanker is a plane or a helicopter.

A Tender is what we think of as a regular tanker, or until NIMS told us otherwise.

I know down here, the only reason is if you ask for a tender or tanker during a large scale event, you will get two different things if following Texas State or Federal interpetation.

Is this something that would ever change it the LHV?

I hate the word "Tender" for a Tanker.

We regularly work alongside state and federal agencies at wildland fires. We have renamed all of our trucks to be typed according to the NIMS standard.

In ICS, especially in large scale, multi-jurisdictional incidents, it is important that the right resources are ordered. If you order a tanker and you really want the one with wheels, it better be clear in the order. The entire purpose of NIMS typing is to standardize resources and capabilities. It may go against "tradition." As an IC, if I order a specific resource, I want to make sure I get what was ordered. There is a difference between a Type II and III engine, for instance. The same for a tender or tanker.

firemoose827 likes this

Call it a turd badger for all I care, just make sure everyone calls it the same thing. For my sake I think everyone should adapt FDNY speak, but I can understand why others may disagree (bus just sounds cooler).

NIMS is the FEDERAL government IMS system. It has nothing to do with local incident management with the exception that it is basically the same concept on the local level.

That's been that way for years and comes out of FIRESCOPE which most IMS systems are based on. It is what it is and they've been calling them tenders/tankers for quite some time and they were the ones that basically wrote the book for multi jurisdictional/agency/discipline IMS so they win.

So when you look at your post...its more accurate to say "a tender is what we call a tanker." Not a tender is what we call a regular tanker. Bottom line is you can call it whatever you want..until you fall into "NIMS" which is when the federal government gets involved. Or if you also activate the state mutual aid plan as they mimic the national system also.

What's LHV?

What's LHV?

Latent Hotair Violations - Comes from talking on the radio for too long and not knowing whether to say Tanker or Tender