Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CAM502

Border Security...On the water!?

8 posts in this topic

In another thread (http://emtbravo.just5buckshosting.com/phpB...opic.php?t=4511) it was said that the Coast Guard can take 30-40 minutes to respond to a call for help. If it takes that long to respond to a known emergency(fire, taking on water, etc), what about a vessel that is coming from international waters that won't respond on the radio and doesn't belong? What if that vessel is a floating bomb? Or what if they are trying to smuggle some terror cell into the country? Are the local PD and FD boats supposed to handle it? Cause that is what it seems will be the only government agencies available to respond swiftly!

Now, I have no knowledge of how this stuff works on the water, but you always hear about dock security and border security at checkpoints along Mexico and Canada. To be honest I would be more worried about that group of guys on the little boat coming into the harbor where nobody is looking. Unloading thier little bombs and taking a cab to the city or wherever. I guess what I'm trying to get at is why don't we have more Coast Guard boats on patrol along all of our coast lines? You always see the coast gaurd in Florida but why not the northeast?

I don't know, just asking.

Simple answer..Money. They have patrol boats that do MLE(Maritime Law Enforcement) that are homeported around the area. You don't see them because they aren't patrolling the Hudson very often. The utility/rescue boats are stationed in the areas I gave in the other thread. Most of the time the cutters used for primarily Law enforcement are off shore and are doing boardings, etc.

You will often see the USCG boats around NYC and patrolling near sensitive areas, however the shorelines of Westchester, Rockland, Conn. and most of Long Island are not at the top priority. If a vessal is in distress there will certainly be someone near to assist, it just may not be the Coast Guard.

I fish in the sound often and I can't remember the last time I saw a coast guard boat. If we can funnel money to as many other countries that we do, why can't we give the guy's who patrol our home waters more? And what about indian point? Don't get me wrong I'm all for it, but is it secure?

I fish in the sound often and I can't remember the last time I saw a coast guard boat.  If we can funnel money to as many other countries that we do, why can't we give the guy's who patrol our home waters more?  And what about indian point?  Don't get me wrong I'm all for it, but is it secure?

I second that (From fishing down). =D>

I've been out of the Coast Guard for nearly ten years. This was when units were being shut down/combined/downsized. They're out there. It's also tough, I would presume, when you have a military service with less people in it than the NYPD.

I've been out of the Coast Guard for nearly ten years. This was when units were being shut down/combined/downsized. They're out there. It's also tough, I would presume, when you have a military service with less people in it than the NYPD.

Wasn't there a joke about the Coast Guard and someones height?

Terrorism is definetly a key issue......the waters are deemed to be one of our weakest points of entry for terrorists.

Last weekend I came across the TZ and there were tons of boats on the water....easily way over 100 in the vicintity of the TZ....there is definetly a need for enforcement and patrols on this busy and dangerous river!