Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
87D124

NYC "REMSCO" Radios?

10 posts in this topic

Ok, so in the Empress Communications Center there are 2 XTL series mobile radios. These radios only have 1 channel programmed into them. The channel name is REMSCO. These radios were provided to Empress/Emergacare by NYC. If NYC requires mutual aid for any reason (terrorist attack, plane crash or MCI), a NYC dispatcher can key up 1 or both of these radios & make their mutual aid request.

Now, the questions I have are:

1. Does anyone know if these radios are VHF, UHF & are they conventional or trunked?

2. What does the "REMSCO" alpha tag stand for?

3. Do any other agencies in Westchester County have these radios?

Thanks in advance!

That should be on the nyc 800mhz trunked system.

Regional ems council

Ok, so in the Empress Communications Center there are 2 XTL series mobile radios. These radios only have 1 channel programmed into them. The channel name is REMSCO. These radios were provided to Empress/Emergacare by NYC. If NYC requires mutual aid for any reason (terrorist attack, plane crash or MCI), a NYC dispatcher can key up 1 or both of these radios & make their mutual aid request.

1. Does anyone know if these radios are VHF, UHF & are they conventional or trunked?

Thanks in advance!

1. Like tbendick said, It's part of the NYC-Metro 800mhz trunked system

2. REMSCO = Regional Emergency Medical Services Council

3. Yes! Lots...

For more info on the Metro NYC Trunked sysytem, go to Radio Reference

Is that an EDACS or Motorola system?

I believe the system is EDACS

I would have thought that metro tech would contact 60 to make a mutual aid request. Seems like that would ensure actability and a more resource effective manor of getting them the units they needed.

The system is not edacs. Same is the county system just 800mhz.

There are several different levels and contact avenues for mural aid.

For example FDNY can contact REMSCO, GNYHA or the state and regional levels.

One thing we have done in the past is to use paid transportation ambulance company's such as AMR might be why empress has radio when you would think the county should.

Thanks in advance!

They are using a talk group from the new channel 16 DOITT system which is on T-Band (UHF 470 - 512).

They are using a talk group from the new channel 16 DOITT system which is on T-Band (UHF 470 - 512).

The TalkGroup listing for this System at RadioReference.com shows the REMSCO Talkgroup as 5440 (see FDNY Talkgroups)

The Radios are part of an effort to utilize non-FDNY EMS participating agencies in a more cohesive manner than in the past. The system is for command level use as opposed to individual use by a responding unit. Many other NYC based agencies or agencies with C.O.N. inside NYC have them. Agencies outside that description do not have them and as such would, or at least should be, responding to any potential requests for resources from NYC by informing 60 Control after they have been asked by NYC, or more likey by SEMO.

87D124 likes this

Since I sold the radios to Remsco (Regional Emergency Medical Services Council of NYC) I will once again answer this question in more detail. There are 30 regional councils in NYS and REMSCO is the one for NYC. Go to the DOH web site for more information.

As i stated before these are part of the NYC Doitt channel 16 (uses the old TV channel 16 spectrum) and uses a talk group on that system. It is a UHF T-Band (470 - 520) radio with Motorola trunking software. All EMS agencies (vollie and commercial) that operate 911 in NYC and all hospitals in NYC were issued these radios to be used as needed for mass commmunications.

It is not part of the old 800 Mhz Motorola Smart Net system as that system is maxed out and cannot be expanded.

I am going to get on my soap box and ask why is that some people post answers when they dont know what they are talking about is it to inflate there own ego?

87D124 likes this