Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SFRD49

Stamford Fire Rescue New Pumpers

12 posts in this topic

The latest on the two new pumpers is that they should be delivered within two weeks.

They are HME Silverfox 1500/750/30 pumpers. They are similar to the 2002 model operated by Engine #4 except that they have an on-board foam (AFFF) system, a flowmeter on the rear 2.5" discharge, and a few other minor changes.The new rigs are tentatively slated for Engine #3 (West Side Station) and Engine #6 (Central HQ). The engine apparatus assignment will be as follows:

E-1: 2004 HME 1500/500 Pumper (HQ)

E-2: 1995 Spartan/General 1500/500/30 Pumper (South End)

E-3: 2005 HME 1500/750/30 Pumper (West Side)

E-4: 2002 HME 1500/750 Pumper (Shippan)

E-5: 2004 HME 1500/500 Pumper (Woodside)

E-6: 2005 HME 1500/750/30 Pumper (HQ)

E-7: 1986 Mack/RSI 1250/750 Pumper (Springdale)

Also scheduled for delivery is a third HME pumper that will be assigned to the Turn of River FD. It will be similar to the two going to city fire rescue but has approximately $30K of optional equipment that was added by the TORFD.

Be safe!!!

Thanks to you and 786XP for the info! Hope to see photos when they come in.....

Sounds like the entire frontline SFRD fleet is mostly up to date now.

Except for E7!! Problems with Springdale are holding that up, I believe.

How are the guys liking the new Engine 4?

I haven't heard much about the HME "Ahrens Fox" craftsmanship at all. Seems like a low bid type of apparatus, but I don't know much about the brand since it is pretty new.

I've always hoped to see a Seagrave or Pierce (Arrow XT) in the City Of Stamford. Guess I will just have to keep hoping.

The HME's are definitely a step above what we had in the past! When I was hired in '01, the engine I ran on (the busiest in the city, with 2,400 runs/yr) was still running an '85 Mack CF(along with three other CFs).

E4(and E1 & E5) have assorted problems with the rollup doors, ranging from too much dirt getting into the compts to bent rails. The light package is pretty cheap, with little servo motors to control the emergency lights. Some other fit and finish problems, but still a lot better than what we used to have.

E1 & E5 have rear intakes built into the REAR COMPARTMENT for some reason that we have yet to figure out.

And the major complaint by most of the members is NO Q2 Siren!!!

On the upside though, E4 now has a 750 gallon tank, which helps if there is a fire all the way in the far reaches of the district(second due company has a long way to get there).The extra 250 gallons go a long way!

As of June 2, Engine 3 and Engine 6 are now in service. As stated above, they are HME Silverfox 1500/750/30 Pumpers. The old Mack MR Chassis E3 and E6 are both now outfitted as reserve units. FInally SFRD has come around to having most engines the same make and (almost) the same layout. SFRD purchased a single HME, then two separate twin HMEs, for a total of five HMEs (out of 7 front-line engine companies). There are slight variations between the three orders of pumpers, but basically they are the same. The two new ones have on board foam, as did both of the engines they replaced. E3 and E6 cover I-95. An initial concern with the two new engines are a high hosebed, due to the 750 gal tank and the "thru the pump" ladder storage.

Thanks for the update!! :-)

Any word on if/when the Rescue will be upgraded to a Pierce Arrow XT heavy rescue,lol????

I'm sure it will be an HME Heavy Rescue rather than a Pierce...But you never know!!!

I'm sure that rescue truck saw some action this morning on I-95.

SFRD49 could verify this, but apparently this was the worst accident he has been to where he did NOT have to do anything, and the guy walked away! They said the whole car was destroyed except for the driver's seat. Lucky guy!

The new rescue is not due for another 3-4 years. I will keep hoping for the Pierce Arrow XT chassis with a Rescue 1 body (identical to the new Camden, NJ Rescue 1- http://www.rescue1cityofcamden.com , but will probably see something like the HME Demo that is at most of the shows.

The specs are out for the new Truck 2, a 105' rear mount. The delivery will probably take at least 12-15 months. No word on who is going to get the bid, but you could take a good guess......

Strange 1 do you still work in Stamford? Have not seen you in some time. I hope you finally broke down and got that hair cut we were talking about. I have some well-used clippers if you need to borrow them? :D

mstrang, could use that buzz cut you guys gave him a few years ago.