Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Physicians on the Fly

7 posts in this topic

I'd like to see this program in Westchester, only with Nurses instead of Doctors. It seems like most of the MD's are cool, but the nurses really have no clue what it's like in the field.

"Physicians on the Fly"

Updated: 5/6/2005 9:21:18 PM

By: Sean O'Grady  

"When our people come to work it's an unknown. Every call is a pop quiz," said Deputy Chief Bill Davis, Albany Fire and EMS.

What better place to train a doctor to be than in the field? The program is called "Physicians on the Fly," and it's creator is Dr. Bruce Ushkow, the Medical Director of Albany Fire and EMS.

"We don't just deal with adults or just young people. We have to be able to run the gamitt, from age zero, before birth, to the extreme elderly," said Albany Medical Director Dr. Bruce Ushkow.

We went to five calls with the team during our ride along. This one involved a 2-year-old that drank penicillin. The doctor's presence had an impact.  

"Oh my God. He relieved me. My nerves are still going, but as long as I know my baby is going to be here I am so happy," said Tamesha Boyd-Reid.

"It makes our in-street decisions a lot easier. He's able to get here really quick and advise us what to do," said Lieutenant John Musella.

Having Medical students in the field makes for multiple benefits. First, the patient gets the best care. Second, the EMT's learn from the medical student, and third, the med student learns from the EMT's.

"Not only do we bring ourselves to a bygone era where doctors are making house calls, but it gives us an opportunity to work closer with physicians form a relationship," said Davis.

"The residents and EMS physicians learn what it's like to be in their shoes and realize that their environment can be much more difficult than ours and we can get an understanding what they are going through," said Ushkow.

That mutual understanding streamlines the care process. All communication is handled right in the field, so no time is wasted on the phone. It also increases learning.

"If the EMT or Paramedic has a question, it makes it really easy to come up to the person that was out in the street with them last week and say 'Hey, I just had this call, can we talk about this'," said Ushkow.

EMS officials said the exchange of knowledge among health care workers makes the entire system stronger. And while our ride is over, you'll be glad to know that the "Physicans on the Fly" can be found riding seven days a week in both Albany and Colonie.  

I'd like to see this program in Westchester, only with Nurses instead of Doctors. It seems like most of the MD's are cool, but the nurses really have no clue what it's like in the field.  

I agree 100% all the nurses should have to do a ride along

I agree 100% all the nurses should have to do a ride along

Do some systems make this a requirement for maintaining, say, Trauma Nurse Coordinator Status and the like. ER (The TV Show) seems to imply that it is in some areas, but we know how real TV is. I'd love to see ER nurses required to work the field from time to time, but we know that will never happen because nobody will pay them to do the time. Nurses like Robyn from NWHC, or Dee and Kenny from HVHC are hard to come by (been there, done that, know what it's like in the field, and have at least SOME patience).

OK WAS, maybe one out of those 3 names I'll give you. I don't know what brownie points your looking for...but one of those names I don't even look at or speak to when in one of those ER's. I think I'll stop there.

I have had other nurses want to and actually do some ride alongs with me. And for many the first thing out of their mouths was "I had no idea what you guys went through or dealt with out here." For the rest of you good looking medics...you getting asked for ride alongs too? :wink:

For the rest of you good looking medics...you getting asked for ride alongs too?  :wink:

I have that question posed to me all the time. I have to shoo them away with a stick. The problem is the lack of hot ED nurses in this county, lol! Go across the line to CT or NJ or MA, and wow!

Getting back to topic, as far as the ride alongs.....many ED nurses and nurses in general really have no respect or understanding for what we do. A program like this would really improve the working relationships.

Why not go to your Medical Director and tell him the idea. You may have to stay in the ER and if you get a call the RN can go with you. Or maybe you QA "guy/gal" can you to Him/Her for you.

ER residents ride along with EMS in NYC during their 4th year for a 2 week period. Most of the docs we have aboard enjoy it greatly and like being involved as opposed to "just watching what goes on". And (most importantly in my eyes) they experience first-hand what all we have to go through sometimes to get at the bottom of what is going on with the pt. (and then witness the story change on arrival at ED!!) they are flabbergasted.