Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pagers

FDNY new HAZMAT 1

6 posts in this topic

I see HAZMAT Company 1 is getting a new rescue from Ferrara. I was wondering about the life expectancy for apparatus in NYC as I thought 10 years was it. I know that the old rescue was a 2006 Ferrara so I'm just wondering if it was due for replacement or they had something wrong with it?

BigBuff likes this

The previous HazMat 1 was built on a stock Ferrara chassis, the Inferno I believe. That rig is 8 years old and will serve as an excellent spare, which that company needed. 10 years is the norm, but I believe that they wanted to bring the HazMat rig more into conformity with the fleet.

It's not really accurate to call it at rescue. Other than the chassis, it shares nothing else. It's a rolling chem lab and by far the most expensive rig in the fleet.

Edited by M' Ave

Hazmat 1 also puts a lot of miles on their rigs being the only hazmat unit for the FDNY.

Oh, eight years old, I thought it was an 06 Ferrara as most pictures I have seen says it. A HAZMAT truck is totally a complex and advanced apparatus, I just called it a rescue because I would thought most people would compare it to one, lol. It is kinda the oddball look compared to all the new rescues with a different cab. Thanks for the reply.

BigBuff likes this

I had heard that they were supposed to get a new support piece as well to replace the kenworth...possibly even on a custom chassis.

It may be an '06, but either way, it's being replaced a little early for reasons such as fleet conformity, need for a better spare and the amount of miles that unit has racked up. The current Ferrara Inferno spends a lot of time OOS. Perhaps that chassis really isn't up to the heavy demands of the city. Speculation....