Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ddoyle195

Tips to Clean Jammed Extrication Tool Couplings

5 posts in this topic

I have a few questions to throw out there. The first is one I seen on vententersearch.com Here is the link for the article:

http://www.vententer...p=1607#comments

My question is with this comment:

Nice crash bag Mike! A couple things you may wish to add: Coax Cutters. Even if you don’t cut battery cables, they are safer to cut door wiring harnesses and don’t build up a static charge like hydraulic extrication cutters can. A can of Brake Cleaner (awesome for quickly cleaning a sand jammed extrication tool coupling) Just friendly suggestions. And you can’t beat those Irwin Vice Grip Pliers! Irwin also makes 9 in 1 screw driver. By far the best multi-screw driver I have ever used! I carry both tools in my bunker gear. Be safe & thanks for sharing!

Has anyone used brake cleaner to clean a sand jammed extrication tool coupling? My second question is on LDH 5" hose gaskets and adapters, since WD40 will dry out and swell the gaskets, could you use brake cleaner as an alternative? Or just stick with trusty vasoline on the gaskets?

I look forward to folks responses to see what other departments use, and thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Brake clean drys fairly instantly and doesnt lubricate. For rubber gaskets i dont think itll b good for.

Break cleaner is just to blow out the sand from the coupling. If you gave a filthy storz coupling you need to clean, the break cleaner would work but make sure you lube it again very well after.

I figured that was the case. Thank you for the replies!

White lith grease is good or any spray lubricant or a pb blaster type spray