Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PMitch

Ambulance Address Problems

3 posts in this topic

http://www.jems.com/...ddress-problems

Just an interesting story about how homes on the same street are in different towns and how ambulances are having trouble locating the homes as a result.

Edited by PMitch

I've run into this issue more than once in a few areas i work. The problem, at least in this area, is that we don't have any centralized dispatching....im not sure if local PDs have the GIS & mapping capabilities the County does. I know they (60) has been invaluable when it comes to these instances,,,

I've run into this issue more than once in a few areas i work. The problem, at least in this area, is that we don't have any centralized dispatching....im not sure if local PDs have the GIS & mapping capabilities the County does. I know they (60) has been invaluable when it comes to these instances,,,

The County GIS dept. relies on data input from the local municipalities (they will come out and help, but 90% of the data is local). We have had a GIS dept. in our city for at least a dozen years and when the FD (and then PD) added mapping to our vehicles we were told by the county we had the best data in the county because of our GIS dept. 6 years later and we have made more than 6,000 corrections to the data base.

The county GIS shows that the border between NR and Eastchester is one thing on the municipal map (layer), another on the police map, a third location on the Fire map and a forth on the EMS map. State law requires that PD & FD for City's must be contiguous with the municipal boarder (unless contracted to provide outside coverage. Their is not a board dispute between the 2 comunities and it only affects county & state property. As a side not the boarder was established almost 400 years ago by the King of England and it has not chaged.

In the past 3 weeks county gis has told us that the spelling on 3 city roads is wrong. so we checked the records and our official map of our streets is correct and the street names were athorized by our city admin. One of them was named on a 1934 map (long before westchester GIS).

Maps are always a work in progress and while county GIS is very helpful, in Westchester it is a local responsability to manage.

In the past 3