Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BFD1054

Vermont Activists call for Taser Moratorium

3 posts in this topic

Activists and Civil Liberties leaders are calling for a moratorium on Taser use following the death of a man who was tased by police.

http://hudsonvalley.ynn.com/content/top_stories/589608/vt--activists-demand-taser-moratorium/

This article is short and leaves me with several questions.

But if the LEO(s) involved in this incident felt as though they were presented with a threat, then it sounds like the right move. If they felt threatened, then they most certainly had every right to use whatever force nessisary to stop that threat.

In this case, they chose to deploy a taser as a non-lethal force option. Unfortunately, a man died as the result. The bigger result (IMO), was that nobody else, LEO or otherwise, was injured by this subject.

I am going to do a search though to find out more info on this story.

I always love that activists want to stop the use of Tasers and othe Conducted Electrical Devices (CED). What are the alternatives? Here is a link to US Department of Justice study of less than lethal alternatives from 2011: https://www.ncjrs.go.../nij/232215.pdf

1. Pepper Spray. It does not work on all individuals, and is not recommended for use on the very young, the very old, and pregnant women. When it was first deployed in the late 80's and early 90's there was much of the same outcry against pepper spray. It can cause difficulty breathing, set off asthma, and cause burns to skin and eyes. You have to be aware of the direction of wind, and the probability that it will effect others in the area. It is also not recommended to be used at less than three feet from a subject, as the pressure it is sprayed at can cut eye tissues. I once used pepper spray while in a fist fight with a subject, I sprayed him, myself, my partner, and several onlookers. I initially sprayed the subject, who wiped it off his face, and proceeded to try and wrestle with me. In the end, he went to jail lumped up, and I burned both my corneas.

2. Baton. Either a straight wood/polycarbonate baton, side handle baton (PR24) or collapsible ASP type batons. All have the side effects. Bruising, broken bones, and possibly permanent disability or death. Even when justified, it does not look pretty. It is close in fighting, as most batons are only 24 inches in length. It is possible to aim for one part of the body, and hit another area due to movement by both the officer and the perpetrator. The last time I used my baton, I was attempting to restrain an individual who was actively fighting with another officer, and bit one officer who was trying to hold him down. When I put him into an arm bar as trained, he fought harder, and walked away with a broken collar bone for his efforts.

My department only allows supervisors (Sergeants and above) to carry a Taser on Patrol, which can be a hindrance in my opinion. I have been in numerous encounters where if I had a Taser it would have shortened the resistance, and most likely reduced injuries to both the perpetrator, other officers, and myself. Usually the supervisor arrives on scene after everything is done, and the person is in handcuffs.

I am all for more training. In 2009, Taser recommended its products not be aimed at the chest area. http://www.policeone...suspects-chest/. Sometimes it happens, either by poor aim, or the perpetrator moved.

Edited by grumpyff
CFFD117 and BFD1054 like this