87D124

Fairfax County Virginia 911 Center

7 posts in this topic

Does anyone here know anyone who has taken the test or anyone who is currently employed at the Fairfax County Virginia 911 Center. I am going down to take the test for this agency at the end of this month. I am just trying to get some more info about it. I have been on their website etc, but being able to speak with someone could give me better insight.

I also applied for Loudoun County Virginia 911 Center as a fire/rescue dispatcher and as a Public Safety Dispatcher with the Prince George's County Maryland 911 Center. Again, I have been on the websites for these agencies, but being able to speak to someone with first hand knowledge would be very helpful. Thank you in advance.

BFD389RET likes this

Does anyone here know anyone who has taken the test or anyone who is currently employed at the Fairfax County Virginia 911 Center. I am going down to take the test for this agency at the end of this month. I am just trying to get some more info about it. I have been on their website etc, but being able to speak with someone could give me better insight.

I also applied for Loudoun County Virginia 911 Center as a fire/rescue dispatcher and as a Public Safety Dispatcher with the Prince George's County Maryland 911 Center. Again, I have been on the websites for these agencies, but being able to speak to someone with first hand knowledge would be very helpful. Thank you in advance.

I read the PDF quickly with all the money they spent on the Comm center it seems like They sorta care about the employees, The floor is HUGE like 20 fire and 20 Cops dispatchers seems the opens up the 1998/99 they have a Gym facility on premises, Kitchen second to none a huge courtyard "relaxation zone" and so on and so forth...by the time you get to the study page 26 of 35 , Big Turnover and Pay it the primary reason No one wantgs to be a dispatcher for 20 years+ and Make 15,000 grand a year supposedly the work force is getting close to 20% empty the Number of "lost calls" is creeping up and the number of Civilian Complaints about getting service is rising to agencies IN the county....

What PDF did you read? I looked on the Fairfax website & did not see the info you are talking about. The pay for Fairfax is pretty good and so are the benefits.

Contact Chief Raftery (wraftery here on Bravo). He's in Virginia and I believe his son is a firefighter in Virginia. He is very knowledgeable and one of the best sources of information we have here on the site.

What PDF did you read? I looked on the Fairfax website & did not see the info you are talking about. The pay for Fairfax is pretty good and so are the benefits.

Maybe They already addressed the issues of the study, which was the basis of the PDF... Mind you I dont live down there I don't know any dispatchers down there, I after reading your posts highlighting all the tests/applications your making down there I frankly was surprised you didnt research it before you Committed.... anyway I went On Line and looked, found the information, Naturally I went back yesterday and wasnt able to find the specific PDF I was reading the previous day... I see it like this , Fairfax was oneof the first Big Mergerswith federal Jing, It stands to reason its going to take some "getting used to" and maybe ever a couple of Directors To "get it done Right" Many Traditional ops up here are still dealing with problems of "Conglomeration" anyway I know guys on the job down there and it is what it is..Like I said within the complex it sure seems Like they tryed to do it right...... just gotta remain thinking No one wants to be a dispatcher as a career, lol (Click those heels 3 times)

Edited by BFD389RET

This is what i found on thier website. Thier starting rate is only about $.50 less than what Putnam starts.

I also saw that they work 182 days a year at 12.5 hrs a shift, thier starting salary would be somewhere near $41,000. Not sure if the 182 days include thier holiday pay.

The info I went to post didnt work but here it is again.

Fairfax County 9-1-1 call takers enjoy competitive salaries and a generous employee benefits package that includes comprehensive health, dental and vision insurance, a retirement plan, 12.5 paid holidays per year and annual and sick leave. All call takers start at a base pay rate of $18.29 per hour; as you qualify in additional skill areas on the Operations floor, your rate of pay increases