Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tbendick

New FDNY Engine 168

11 posts in this topic

As the mayor race heats up. FDNY is adding a new Engine company to SI. Engine 168 will go into service in the near future out of the Rossville station. Currently Rossville is running only an EMS Battalion.

There's the future squad co for SI!!!!! :roll:

There was and is a lot of talk about something like that. I guess that time will tell.

Tom, I heard that E165 was going to receive the extra training to become a Squad co since they already have the "HazMat Engine" status with the 2nd piece. Apparently the original plan was for a Squad then an Engine and Ladder Company to be assigned to the house, but Bloomy's regime axed that idea real quick...until now(re-election)!!!!

This would be a very active station due to the many calls that have been in this area and maybe a Squad company would not be bad. The benefits would be great, a SOC unit on the South end of SI. A HazMat certified unit near Port Mobile, and the Expressways down there. It would lift the load of trying to get Rescue 5 to that area before the Chief's give a probably will hold!

this house was built to be the first? combined fire/ems station in the city, right? and then for only housed the ems 22? batt? and then, suprise suprise, bloomberg decides now is a good time to add the new company.

if the squad/rescue is still responding when the P/W/H is transmitted, do they continue or turn back? also, is RES 5 CUE still a HMTU?

this house was built to be the first? combined fire/ems station in the city, right? and then for only housed the ems 22? batt? and then, suprise suprise, bloomberg decides now is a good time to add the new company

There's another house in Queens that is a combined Fire/EMS house. Engine 265, Ladder 121, and Battalion 47 was combined last October I believe

if the squad/rescue is still responding when the P/W/H is transmitted, do they continue or turn back? also, is RES 5 CUE still a HMTU?

We usually continue in unless we're told that we're not needed. And yes, R5 is still a HazMat tech unit.

Sq, thanks for the reply. How are things working out in the combined house, or is the answer obvious?

No Comment..... 8) To be honest, I think it is just who you talk too.....some guys hate it, some don't.

what is the avg. response time for Res5cuE to get down to where 168 would be? and what is the nearest Squad?

thanks

Right now the closest Squad is Sq-1 in Brooklyn.

Not working on SI, i'd say that the avg response time for R-5 to the area would be 7-10 minutes on a god traffic day. The closest Squad Co would be Squad 1 coming over from Brooklyn to cover the island.