Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Burn center must be preserved says retired Fairview FF

20 posts in this topic

Burn center must be preserved  

(Original publication: May 17, 2005)

The burn center at Westchester Medical Center was spearheaded in 1973 by Jack William of the New Rochelle Fire Department. Eight fire union locals met on Dec. 3, 1973. The Fifth District of New York State Professional Fire Fighters Association had endorsed the committee to establish a burn center in Westchester County, and a letter was sent to all locals by Bob Bogart, vice president of NYSFFA Fifth District, asking for $50 per local for operating expenses to start the ball rolling, which ended with 16 fire departments in all.

Hard work and a lot of time and effort went into establishing the burn center, through fund-raisers of all types to start the center on the move. To think that this vital part of the medical center might be in jeopardy because of financial trouble at the medical center is hard to perceive. Since a burn center or burn unit is unique, it takes a specially trained personal and staff to run a center and it is not part of most hospitals' makeup. This center serves many surrounding counties and even other states.

Let's keep this dream that became reality in October 1979. The burn center consists of 15,000 square feet at the Macy Pavilion, 10 patients' room, a public area, offices, hydrotherapy and treatment area, a debridement room, a patient lounge, a kitchen, specialized equipment, a chapel and religious faith chaplains.

It's just one of the vital parts of the medical center that is needed.

Richard Hunter, Yorktown Heights

The writer is retired from Fairview Fire Department

This guy is right. We are so fourtunate to have a burn center in our backyard (or at least a short helicopter ride away). I know when the burn center first open fire departments all over the region were doing differant fund raisers to benefit the place. I'm not sure how it works now that the county dosen't run the hospital. If I remember correctly, the burn center is or was named The Hank Longo Burn Center. Hank was a Yonkers firefighter, and had alot to do with getting it up and running, and put together a bunch of fund raiser for the center. Hank died in the early 90's.

Years ago (around 1998) the county stop subsidizing the hospital.

Thats why the name change:

Westchester County Medical Center To

Westchester Medical Center

From why I understood the Hospital would bill patients then at the end of the year the county would pay the difference so it would break even. When the county was having financial problems they stoped. Someone that lives in Westchester feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes the county does not "run the Hospital" but they are stilll holding the bag and a lot of the responsibility for it. When they made it a private entity they made themselves responsible if they would default.Enough said about that, the Burn Unit is very important supposebly the only one from here to Albany. We all need to do and go the extra mile to make sure it gets back on track and stays open. It was the Bright and shining star for my son Jimmyboy and for so many of us in Westchester and surronding area.As well the Westchester County Volunteer FireMans Assoc. recently donated 10 VCR /DVD players to the unit.

the Burn Unit is very important supposebly the only one from here to Albany.

Actually it's worse. WMC is the only (ed. Level 1) TRAUMA center between here and Albany. AMC is not a burn center so WMC is the only one between NYC (Jacobi) and CANADA. (If you can believe that). I couldn't tell you where the people from Albany go in the event of a bad burn patient. Maybe they even come all the way down to WMC. Simple fact is we can't afford to loose the services of WMC, be it the burn center, trauma, helicopters, etc. Unfortunatly the tax payers of Westchester County are stuck holding a majority of the financial responsibility. It's time for the surrounding counties in the region (including CT and perhaps north Jersey) to pony up and start bearing some of the fiscal burden.

Actually it's worse. WMC is the only TRAUMA center between here and Albany. AMC is not a burn center so WMC is the only one between NYC (Jacobi) and CANADA. (If you can believe that).

Not to split hairs, it's the only Level 1 trauma center. Also Jacobi is an Adult Burn center as of three years ago not a Peds burn Center. I believe New York Presby (Cornell) is a Peds Burn Center.

Just an Idea why can't the State Help if so many in the state benifit from its services? Or is that to logical?

WAS967

I couldn't tell you where the people from Albany go in the event of a bad burn patient.

When I am up at school in Albany you always hear on the news that a burn victom was transported to WMC by helocopter

Not to split hairs, it's the only Level 1 trauma center. Also Jacobi is an Adult Burn center as of three years ago not a Peds burn Center. I believe New York Presby (Cornell) is a Peds Burn Center.

Yeah, I shoulda put the Level 1 part in there. Good point with the peds portion too. Just goes to show you how much be take WMC for granted. I've never really had to make the distinction between peds and adult burn centers because WMC covers all the stops.

Just an Idea why can't the State Help if so many in the state benifit from its services? Or is that to logical?

I think this was discussed in the form of a, instead of lowering the state sales tax 1/8% or so, keep it as is and have the money go toward hospitals like WMC that are so desperately in need of financial assistance. I think it will eventually come to the point where the State NEEDS to step in and help out.

The state has been asked to help and has a bail out package ready. They are just waiting to see if the hospital can stay out the red if they were to get the money. No sense in giving them money if its not going to help out in the end.

Im sorry to go off topic ...but after recently seeing some hospital bills (that usually get paid by insurnce) there is no reason that this hospital should be sufferring. It is poor management and other wastes of money that is ruining them...(

Im sorry to go off topic ...but after recently seeing some hospital bills (that usually get paid by insurnce) there is no reason that this hospital should be sufferring. It is poor management and other wastes of money that is ruining them...(

One the 12:00 news today, there was a piece about an executive that WMC fired either yesterday or today because he is being investigated by the State Attorney General's Office for alleged Medicare and Medicaid fraud while he was an executive for Staten Island University Medical Center. I know this is a bit off topic, but it kind of sheds light on what mikerabbit said.

The medical center isn't the only trauma center having problems. This is a federal issue and sooner or later the federal government is also gonna have to step in and figure out a way to help the system for its citizens. When it comes to finances there aren't many hospitals that operate in the black anymore without some sort of service suffering. There is no reason why the burn unit should go. I remember many fundraisers years ago that departments would do to help raise funds for either a monetary donation or equipment needed or items that made the patients stay more comfortable or higher quality of life. In fact maybe 585 can add to it, I think Croton used to run a softball tourney which was in benefit of the burn center. Perhaps its time to start up again and do the best we all can in the event one of us is in need of its services. We need to get all our organizations to work together on this one instead of bickering about worthless issues.

Is there any deaprtments left that run fund raiser for the burn center ? I remember a golf tournament a few years ago, but I don't know if that still happens. There was a foundation called "Burn Care Everywhere" and I think these people rasied money for the burn center.

ALS - the softball tournament you're thinking of was in Ossining. And as you and so many others have said, its a shame the condition that WMC is in, but its also sad that it isn't just a localized problem. Speaking first hand of their Hyperbaric program, its a great thing to have so close to us. Same goes for all their other specialized services. I hope a solution comes about.

I agree with you ALS, we all need to do Fund raisers and help them out, this is something I have been saying since I have learned about the issuses at WMC I havenot pushed the issue yet I was waiting until everything is calm at home with Jimmy.

What ever happened to hospitals being a charity to help the sick and injured, regardless of their financial conditions??

Seems to me like Heatlhcare now is more concerned with profit then patient care.

Westchester is also in a tricky sitution because they are located so close to NYC, where many hospitals offer the name turciary care services but with the city hospital reputations.

Maybe the Fire Unions and Volunteer associations need to start speaking up about this. If not, people may start going to Cornell.

What ever happened to hospitals being a charity to help the sick and injured, regardless of their financial conditions??

Thats one of the many reasons these hospitals suffer so hard. Covering the expenses of the poor, running communtiy health programs and free clinics along with insurance fees and legal expenses generated by our littigation happy society running a hospital is outrageously expensive. The WMC also has its own unique problems; the bill collection dept for example was all but useless untill recently and services that were not generating money, ie: liver transplants, have all compunded the situation

As the Ddirector of " BurnCare Everywhere Foundation Inc" I can give you some facts : The Fire Service here in Westchester should be behiind every effort to help the Medical Center and the "Longo" burn Center. It is the only one in the area for us. period !

BurnCare works closely with the families and the patients in the center and relys on fund raising efforts to survive.

We have one major fundraising effort every year a golf outing.

I have sent out over 150 letter to fire departments/fire companies/ Unions/allin westchester.

one would think a fire department would be able to part with a $150.00 or $200.00 right!!!! WRONG

The return from the golf fund raising is about 10 yes i said 10 departments

this year golf outing is set for Sept 01 2005 your department or fire company has gotten the fund raising letter go look they were sent out in MAY.

for aNY INFORMATION CALL ME AT 914 282 9081

Walter Ferguson

Director BurnCare Everywhere Foundation Inc.

P.S. Some Departments are Great Elmsford has supported the Foundation the last 2 years from their

seminar,Greenburgh Firefighter local 1586 has been a great help over the years Come on you brother firefighters get your company or department on board

You are so right, I remember as a child going out on fundraising trips with my Father (retired FF) and the late Hank Longo and watching them hustle to sell dollar raffles and any thing else that would raise money to get the Burn Center off the ground. A lot of dedication and sacrifice by the Union Firefighters of that day went into the creation of the Westchester Fire Fighters Burn Foundation and the Burn Center at the WCMC