Disaster_Guy

Mount Kisco Creates Plan for Next Disaster

2 posts in this topic

link to article

A Lesson Learned: Mount Kisco One Year After Hurricane Irene

by Liz Button

08/27/12

MOUNT KISCO, N.Y. – Mount Kisco officials are deeply engaged in developing a multi-hazard mitigation plan as Tuesday marks the one year anniversary of Hurricane Irene’s devastation to the village, causing major flooding and massive power outages for homes and businesses, road blockages and fallen trees.

Mount Kisco received a $100,000 grant for the plan from FEMA in November, to which the village will contribute a $25,000 match.

The village hazard plan committee had its first meeting Thursday to work on the assessment for HAZNY, a questionnaire from the NYS Department of Emergency Management that identifies and rates the risks from hazards Mount Kisco could experience, storm-related and otherwise.

Village manager Jim Palmer said the committee definitely placed large emphasis on hazards caused by storms like Irene and October’s freak snowstorm. “During our discussions yesterday as we developed this plan, those two events were very much on everyone’s mind,” he said.

. 5. A draft of the plan is due to the New York State Office of Emergency Management by April 10, 2013.

Good luck, a hazard mitigation plan is not an easy one to do, I looked into it briefly for work but I've got too many other plans that need to be done ASAP to get started on something like that just yet.

Definitely important though, and something I'd like to do eventually.