87D124

Medivac Radios

7 posts in this topic

Does anyone know what brand/model two-way radios that medivacs in the Hudson Valley Region use?

Do they have just one multi-band radio or multiple radios? I know they have lowband, VHF & UHF capabilities, because I have heard them operating on all three bands. Just trying to get more specific details.

Varies widely from operator to operator and aircraft to aircraft.

Most of the commercial operators have (or at least used to have) at least one multi-band programmable radio so they could input frequencies for LZ coordination on the fly (pun intended).

BFD1054, JetPhoto, 87D124 and 1 other like this

Thanks for the info! I know that up here in Orange County, the majority of the FDs that set up LZs use lowband 46.40, but I also hear the flight crews talking to EMS Dispatch on VHF & there are some FDs that communicate on various UHF frequencies. Most of the time, the dispatchers ask the FD/EMS agencies in scene for a frequency they want to use & what PL TONE they will be using, so I know that the flight crews have field programmable radios. I wanted to get an idea of brand/model & find out if these are specificly made for aircraft or if they are mobile radios that can be purchased & installed in a car etc.

If you are looking for multi band radios you could look at yaseu or vertex which is the commercial side. Remember that Yaseuis a Ham radio & you do not want to transmit without the proper lic. I operate the 8900 and I love the rig.

There are some newer brands out now that are cheaper & are geared for commercial hts that are also field programable. Be careful not to get yourself into trouble. If you wish to listen go scanner. If you need to transmits. Have your dept buy it.

Thanks for the info! I know that up here in Orange County, the majority of the FDs that set up LZs use lowband 46.40, but I also hear the flight crews talking to EMS Dispatch on VHF & there are some FDs that communicate on various UHF frequencies. Most of the time, the dispatchers ask the FD/EMS agencies in scene for a frequency they want to use & what PL TONE they will be using, so I know that the flight crews have field programmable radios. I wanted to get an idea of brand/model & find out if these are specificly made for aircraft or if they are mobile radios that can be purchased & installed in a car etc.

They're almost all made specifically (though not exclusively) for aircraft. You could theoretically get one of these radios and install it in a car but you'd need a converter to 28V since aircraft systems are 28V not 12V.

Cost is also a concern because these radios are probably 10x more expensive than traditional land mobile radios. If you've got unlimited funds and a way of upping the voltage, go for it.

Wulfsberg and Technisonic are probably the most popular brands out there right now and there are many different models. NAT also used to be a big part of the market share but I think they were bought out by Cobham.

PEMO3 likes this

Why would you need a field programmable radio to communicate with aircraft? If your LZ Command, they can just use any frequency you already have. If your just a buff, any scanner can monitor all those frequencies, no?

helicopper likes this