Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

When to wax a new car/truck?

11 posts in this topic

I'm just curious, when are you supposed to wax a new car or truck for the first time?? How long are you supposed to wait from delivery to putting a coat of wax on?

I worked for a car dealership and I watched them do there pre-delivery wax jobs. It was a crap job most of the time. When I bought my vehicle from them I took it home and waxed it again.

Sometimes they ran out of time because the amount of deliveries that they had and wouldn't even wax them!

So, my opinion WAX AWAY!!!Its not going to hurt it.

My understanding you don't have to wait to wax, you can do it when you want. The experts recommend waxing at least 4 times a year, and weekly (yes, WEEKLY) washes.

If you'd like some good tips on this sort of thing, go to the forum, www.T4R.org and look under the detailing section- lots of good car maintence tips there.

the only time waxing is a concern is after painting...in that case do what the guy who applied the paint tells you to....trust me, I didn't.

The historical "safe" answer is wait 90 days from the application to put anything besides soap and water on your paint.

This varies by manufacturer of course.

mfc2257,

I think you're referring to aftermarket paint jobs.. This goes with what ny10570 mentioned.. When you have a body shop do body work, you definitely need to wait before you wax, etc. your paint as it needs to fully cure.

But when you're talking a brand new car with a factory paint job, these paints are seriously baked on, in a way that even a body shop with an "oven" cannot replicate. That said, these paints are fully cured when it comes out of the plant. Certainly by the time it's delivered to a customer..

New Car - Wax anytime

New Paintjob from body shop - Follow body guy's recommendation.

The best way to tell if your car needs to be waxed is to spray a little water on it - if it beads up, the wax is good. NEVER use dish soap, or anything other than car wash soap when washing the car. These will strip the wax right off. The best soap I've found is Dupont's Teflon car wash.. $8.oo at Bridge Auto Parts

Note: one of the high end polish companies (Zaino Brothers) recommend washing with dawn dishwashing liquid the first time out, specifically to strip everything but paint off of your car.. SO under certain circumstances, it's allowed ;)

Malco makes good detailing products but I don't think they sell it in stores...gotta be hooked up with the supplier/distributor.

PCFD, Malco does make excellent care products, you can get them at either one of the American Cycle shops, either on Albany Post Rd. in Montrose or on Crompond Rd./Route 202 Peekskill. Try their flash wax, its great, cures as soon as you apply, and rubs off easy.

It's funny you should mention Malco. I love their products. I use there car wash/wax and the flash wax. Both products produce an excellent and shiny result.

Also to note, D&S Auto Supply next to Citibank in the KMART Plaza on 119 in Fairview also carrys these products.