Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TR54

Lesson learned after Tiller rollover

4 posts in this topic

http://www.firefighternation.com/videos/raleigh-tiller-rollover

Story told by the members of the Raleigh Fire Department after their tiller rollover accident in July 2009.

Take the time to watch this video. Each member including the officer learned that safety must come first.

It's not just a slogan to say "Be Safe" you must practice Safety all the time.

PCFD ENG58 and EmsFirePolice like this

The bottom line is BE SMART. I have seen the video a few times and the rig was simply going to fast for the turn. You always have the next block to make a turn if your travling to fast and not enough time our space to slow down. Everyone was very lucky that day.

Luckily my town does not have any tillers or ladders. Thank God everyone was OK in that rollover.

Tankers engines ambulances rescues.... Speed is the issue regardless of apparatus type.

Tankers engines ambulances rescues.... Speed is the issue not the type of apparatus.

AND as a tiller, with the tiller man steering into the turn, much of the lateral inertia that initiated the roll was mitigated... Had this been a straight job or tower, it probably would have gone over twice!!!

Edited by xfirefighter484x

Incredible footage.

I learned that early in my training that you and your equipment have to arrive on the scene safely to make a difference.