Goose

Danner Boots

7 posts in this topic

Evening all,

Over the past week or so i have been researching new uniform boots for work and wanted to query some of the more experienced providers / professionals / etc here to see if they could help me.

Right now i wear Haix boots, which have generally worked well for me but its time to retire them. I was given a number of recommendations from friends, coworkers and family members in similar lines of work. My father and a number of people recomended Danner boots given his positive experience when he was on the job (PD) in the 70s. I have no issue spending money for a solid product (its investment in my health and safety really) and years ago swore that i would never buy a 50 dollar generic EMS boot (i seem to be hard on foot ware...likely due to the number of hours a week i work).

The general guidelines i've established for myself are:

1) Made in the U. S.

2) Pref. all leather construction

3) 8 Inches in height

4) Pref. safety toe which meets or exceeds ASTM standards

I spent a long time browsing the Danner website and searching for reviews on forums and youtube (you would be surprised they are few and far between). I looked at the steel toe Acadia's which seem popular with the uniformed community but i am turned off by the large sections of nylon integrated into the design (despite the fact that there is a gortex liner). I also looked at the Recon (basically an all leather Acadia with 200g of insulation but no safety toe option). I stumbled upon the Super Rain Forest boots (they are marketed as more of a work boot than a uniform boot) which meet all the criteria but have white stitching and i'm not sure how i feel about how that would look against a navy uniform. Any comments on Danner's generally, the Super Rain Forest's (especially the white stitching) or if you feel i need to rethink my criteria are more than welcome and encouraged. Thanks ahead of time.

Below is a link to the Super Rain Forest information page on Danner's website.

http://www.danner.com/boots/super-rain-foresttm-non-metallic-safety-toe-work-boots.html

Get the Arcadia steel toe if you feel you need it. I wear blackhawk II. I order half size down and in wide. They will feel tight for a few days and then it will wear like a glove and you will never want to wear another boot. Be aware that this boot is heavier than others, but I swear by my danners

I bought 2 pairs of the Arcadias for my work and was very disappointed. I have a pair of the summers and the 400g winter boots. First off they are very very heavy if you are going to do any running. Also in my rookie time on a footpost i wore down the soles of the summer pair in 6 months. I called Danner because I felt after spending 275 for the boots maybe they should cover the soles since it was only six months old. I spoke with a customer service rep who after I sent out the boots to their factory accused me of dragging my feet or being assigned to a motorcycle unit and perhaps riding using my boots as a brake which i thought was insane. For the cost of those boots you can def find better boots out there. I now wear NIKE ACGs which I love. Though they are a bit less professional looking they are extremely comfortable and hold up pretty well. I bought a pair last year before the West Indian Day Parade and they are still going strong. I suggest the scratch proof material if you are active because they will remain to look new. Only problem is with that material they will not hold a shine. Though Danners have some good reviews I find that the boots are very uncomfortable and heavy.

i wear Danners majority of the time but when it gets cold i pull out my HAIX boots to keep the toes warm. I do not get steel toes any more one because i have problems with my toes the other my feet never stay warm once that steel gets cold. But here are the Danners I wear and love them

http://www.danner.com/boots/strikertm-ii-emstm-side-zip-non-metallic-safety-toe-uniform-boots.html

Another option is refurbing those old Haix, check out www.nushoe.com

This ways you get to keep your made in Germany boot but employ someone in the USA to extend their life

I tried to get my HAIX resoled in mt kisco, yes there is a cobbler in mt kisco i think one of the last ones... and he does GREAT work too he has brought life back into my boots so many times. but the HAIX sole is sold and told me he would have to glue a new one on and it won't last as long...

Just wanted to thank everyone for the advice / user info. Decided to go w/ the steel toe Acadia's and keep the Haix as back ups!