Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RWC130

Antique Fire Engine Muster in Westchester?

2 posts in this topic

I remember as a kid when they used to have Antique Fire Engine Musters

in Westchester County.

What happened? Why did they stop?

I'd like to work on bringing one back to Westchester County. (IF POSSIBLE)

Anyone interested in working on this project with me?

I'm sure we could get some sponsors. The BIG question is where would we

have this..... Kensico Dam, Croton Point or Riverfront Green.

If not a BIG one maybe even something small.

Perhaps we could spark some interest with the Catskill Fire Cats, SPAAMFAA, etc.

http://www.spaamfaa.org/

Thoughts?

Feel free to e-mail me direct. RWC130@aol.com

Not an expert, per se, on the subject, but I believe the reason why the musters stopped happening is because the organization(s) that hosted them disbanded. I can only wish that I had gotten into this scene a few years earlier and had been able to take in a few of them, either Croton or Valhalla, as the photos I've seen and the stories that have been told are great! Our own (Fire-Cats) muster was a good time back when it was at the County park, too.

It would be a great thing if someone were to revive such events, whether it be the formation of a new SPAAMFAA chapter or just an individual fire department (or just a group of dedicated buffs) that had the resources to put it on. Somewhere in Westchester would be ideal...centrally located to draw rigs from within the county as well as both Long Island and upstate. Connecticut, too. From what I've seen at the J.I.M.M.Y. fundraiser muster and various parades over the years, there are some real gems in the tri-state metro area that would make for a great event if given the chance.

I heard a few prominent photographers talking at a muster in Jamesburg, NJ last summer, saying that this event is becoming "the new Croton". Not sure what was meant by that...either turnout or significance or what...but would be great to have something big like it a little closer to home.