Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
38ff

Bailout Harness Lifespan

8 posts in this topic

All,

Im looking for info in if bailout systems/harnesses have a "lifespan", like NFPA says 10 years for turnout gear.

I cant find anything in NFPA 1983, 2012 edition about a life span.

Or is it just do the inspections and remove from service when there is a problem...

Gemtor tells me ANSI A.10.32-2004 says 5 years is the service life for fall protection.......

Any ideas?

I need black and white, not vauge. I find 5 years for a Gemtor Harness under reasonable use and care to be about 5 years too short, seeing how the bailout system manufacturer says 10 assuming inspections are done at proper intervals, ect. I asked a FDNY guy, he said their Gemtors get replaced at 10 years. I just find it funny how when I called Gemtor, they faxed me a sheet saying ANSI says 5 years, unless specified by the manufacturer....

If you watch the video, at about the 10 minute mark, they discuss replacement and basically say it depends upon use. We were told when purchasing out bailout systems that they need to be replaced after 10 years. I too have been looking for this in writing.

The bailout people (RIT in my depts case) say 10 years, but I got Gemtor saying their harnesses are only good for 5 years.

If you watch the video, at about the 10 minute mark, they discuss replacement and basically say it depends upon use. We were told when purchasing out bailout systems that they need to be replaced after 10 years. I too have been looking for this in writing.

Who did you ask?

I called RIT and Gemtor direct.

We just ordered our bailout systems from RPI. Their representative told us they have a 10 year lifespan.