Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Is NY a "National Registry State"?

5 posts in this topic

I keep getting confused with different perspectives on this, but is NY a "National Registry" state? I know they were converting over some things to NREMT standards, but what does that really mean?

It used to mean that the state recognized the National Registry as meeting the same requirements as their own. I think that its probably more in line with NYS now that they have adopted DOT standards.

NO.

NYS will allow you to take the refresher course with your NREMT.

VT is a NREMT state however to be a VTEMT you must be affiliated with a VT EMS agency. I got my NYEMT card after affiliating with a squad in VT when I had my NREMT card and then I applied for reciprocity in NY. All I do is recert in VT and I have my NY recert taken care of.

It is a long and complex process unfortunately but this was free except for the reciprocity from NY ($25).

Because I took the NREMT computer exam a few years ago, I received my NREMT-B card. When I recert'ed last summer, I recert'ed as an NREMT.

Edited by SRS131EMTFF

What a NREMT state means is that the standards of certification that the state follows and that its teaches to as well as the test that the state administers is the NREMT exam for whatever level is being tested (ECA, EMT, AEMT, P)

The state, district, hospital and squad can other regulations/standards/protocols as long as they do not exceed the NREMT standard for the certification level you posses. I.E. NREMT won't allow basics to do IVs. An additional way this plays out is NREMT may say that finger sticks are allowed at the B level however the state or the district may not allow it (as is the case in VT).

I keep getting confused with different perspectives on this, but is NY a "National Registry" state? I know they were converting over some things to NREMT standards, but what does that really mean?

In short, no NY is not a national registry state so obtaining credentialling with an NREMT card alone is not possible, at least not yet. NREMT establishes no standards, it's simply a testing body. NY adopted the national cirriculum standards - which come from the EMS office in some subbasement of the national highway traffic safety administration office in DC - for EMT, EMT-I and Paramedic. Additionally, NY continues to retain the CC program because of the medic shortages in northern regions of the state. There is virtually nothing in terms of the paramedic level that is different between NY and national carriculum, the major changes reside in the "B" and "I" programs.