Arbrow06

WCDES Volunteer Oppurtunities

7 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone could tell me more about the two opportunities of Technical Rescue Team and Medical Reserve Corp. I am currently an EMT but I want to give back to my county community more than just occupying space. I just want to get more information about it especially if you are in it. Thanks guys.

www.medicalreservecorps.gov You should be able to find your local unit there with contact info.

I run the local one for West Haven, CT. If you have any questions I can help you out, but units sometimes have different missions so they might do something very different than we do.

I already read all the websites. I wanted a different perspective of it like first hand

I already read all the websites. I wanted a different perspective of it like first hand

Call them, us public health preparedness people don't get out much, I'm sure they'd love to talk to you!

If you are looking to make an impact on your local and greater community through volunteer emergency/disaster programs, you may be disappointed by the MRC. They are rarely, if ever, activated, and are not that generally active. But, it doesn't hurt to join them anyway. That also goes for WEVR as well. I'm not (yet) a MRC member, but I know people who are in it.

If you still live in Mount Vernon, you may be interested in their Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) or Auxiliary Police program.

Feel free to contact me privately if you have any questions.

From what I have seen, Tech Rescue rarely gets called. I believe they are only dispatched/requested once or twice per month if at all. Also, by the time a chauffeur gets the truck to meet the members on scene and start to go to work, the local organizations have already devised and executed a different intervention.

I remember them getting called to Armonk for a wreck requiring rope rescue. By the time the first few members got on scene the Greenburgh PD Technical Rescue Team had already gotten the patient out. Another instance they were called to Croton Falls for a rope rescue, but they were canceled before the truck even signed on.

Seems like a lot of great training for very little use.