Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
v85

Scene safety? Or Poor Protocols?

5 posts in this topic

First of all, I posted to open it up for discussion.

Second of all, if at least one other person didn't agree with me, it would have never made it to the officer.com home page

Third of all, the article stated that arriving officers began to evacuate the neighbors houses while the downed officer was laying there with reportedly no one attending to him. Although those officers were heroic in doing so, I can state that at least in my county, if anyone left a dying officer alone for 90 minutes, they would be looking for a new job.

And I was discussing it. The linked article doesn't provide a clear description of what was taking place that prevented the officer being reached sooner. It's not my problem that you don't like that I disagree with your position.

Second of all, if at least one other person didn't agree with me, it would have never made it to the officer.com home page

Wrong, the fact that a cop was shot is enough to get the article on a police related website.

Third of all, the article stated that arriving officers began to evacuate the neighbors houses while the downed officer was laying there with reportedly no one attending to him.

Well, it's quite possible that at the time they started evacuating houses, they felt that they weren't appropriately equipped to go get him without unreasonably exposing themselves to harm. More than likely you lack knowledge of their protocols for a situation like this, so it's pretty bold (and not in a good way) to say something is poor when you don't even know what it is.

Although those officers were heroic in doing so, I can state that at least in my county, if anyone left a dying officer alone for 90 minutes, they would be looking for a new job.

Ok tough guy.

SRS131EMTFF likes this

Third of all, the article stated that arriving officers began to evacuate the neighbors houses while the downed officer was laying there with reportedly no one attending to him. Although those officers were heroic in doing so, I can state that at least in my county, if anyone left a dying officer alone for 90 minutes, they would be looking for a new job.

I don't know what makes you think that the cops of Orange County are better than those anywhere else but if they were facing a potential sniper, they wouldn't be able to go in and extract the down officer either.

It's tragic and I'm sure they will be spending a lot of time trying to figure out how that time could have been reduced. Snipers change the battlefield dramatically. Ask anyone who ever served in the military!