Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dwcfireman

Moving to Texas

7 posts in this topic

Hey All,

I'm looking at moving to Texas in the near future, as I'm begining the recuitment process into the Houston FD. So, I was wondering if anybody in the EMTBravo world could enlighten me on a few questions that I have:

1) Which NYS certifications (if any or all) are backed with IFSAC seals?

2) How easy is it to transfer a NYS fire certification to Texas?

3) For anyone who has moved from NY to TX, what was your experience?

I appreciate in advance any and all answers to my questions. It's a long process that I'm starting and I'm looking for anything that could help me out.

Hey All,

I'm looking at moving to Texas in the near future, as I'm begining the recuitment process into the Houston FD. So, I was wondering if anybody in the EMTBravo world could enlighten me on a few questions that I have:

I appreciate in advance any and all answers to my questions. It's a long process that I'm starting and I'm looking for anything that could help me out.

You'll just love the humidity! :) Best of luck in your new job!

dwcfireman likes this

You'll just love the humidity! :) Best of luck in your new job!

I've had the chance to experience the humidty a few times lol. This gave me a much needed laugh. Thanks for the heads up hahaha :P

I lived in Austin, TX for several years. It was awesome. I loved it. TX is a MUCH cheaper place to live, and the stereotype that TX has I found to be very untrue in a lot of aspects. Houston is a great city with a lot to offer anyone. Emergency Services in TX are very progressive in many fashions.

It's a great FD to work for, very busy. Do you have an EMS certification as well? That will be a BIG part of your job, as Houston FD runs BLS, ALS, and transporting units.

I found that FF certifications vary from department by department. The State may recognize some certifications, but there's always conflict because NY wants to do things their way and differently, so it's really a toss up when trying to transfer to any state. Most TX departments want you to learn other things that apply in TX, but not in NY, such as wildland firefighting.

Also to note, one of the best firefighter training schools in the country is located just north of Houston:

http://www.teex.com/esti/

Any questions , feel free to post here or PM me. I have several friends who work for Houston FD, and I can try and find out what I can for you. I also am familiar with a lot of things about moving from NY to TX, so again any questions let me know. Also, several members on here are native Texans that can help as well

post-11-0-66091200-1393249473.jpg

post-11-0-62612400-1393248937.jpg

post-11-0-13024900-1393249376.jpg

post-11-0-90578500-1393249442.jpg

dwcfireman likes this

Not to HIJACK the Moving to Texas thread but....

WOW!!!!! Nice photos Seth! :D

x635 and dwcfireman like this

Hey All,

Good luck on the move man. I live in SETX about 1 1/2 hours from Houston.

I can tell ya now, there probably won't be another test until much later this year, or next year. They have 2 Fast Track academies scheduled this year and 2 full academies scheduled equaling out to around 200 new hires.

HFD usually holds 3 different tests.

1. Non-Certified test (Requires 60 hrs of college credit, or 2 years military)

2. Certified Test ( TCFP & TDH EMT-B / P)

3. Paramedic (Non-fire cert)

If you have your Paramedic, you're in much better shape. I had talked to an HFD Paramedic the other week when I brought a patient to Memorial Hermann and he informed me they are still very short handed on paramedics right now and they had a lil fumble with this years budget in regards to sending employees to Paramedic school.

Either way, HFD is a great department, and I plan to try out next time they test.

Best of luck to you man. Any questions, feel free to ask. I'll help out as best I can.

Also, if you're not dead set on HFD, be sure to keep track of the TCFP website, as many Texas fire dept's post hiring notifications there.

x635 and dwcfireman like this

HFD usually holds 3 different tests.

2. Certified Test ( TCFP & TDH EMT-B / P)

Also, if you're not dead set on HFD, be sure to keep track of the TCFP website, as many Texas fire dept's post hiring notifications there.

I was actually contacted by the HazMat Cpatain from HFD. He wants to recruit me (found out about me from a close friend that works for TexDOT). I've been trying to talk to the recruiters about what I need to qualify for the certified test, and I've been told by numerous people to look for surounding departments as well.

Thanks for the info!!

Any questions , feel free to post here or PM me. I have several friends who work for Houston FD, and I can try and find out what I can for you. I also am familiar with a lot of things about moving from NY to TX, so again any questions let me know. Also, several members on here are native Texans that can help as well

You, too, Seth. Thank you for the heads up!!

Not to HIJACK the Moving to Texas thread but....

WOW!!!!! Nice photos Seth! :D

Don't worry about "hijacking" my thread lol. I agree, those are awesome pics!

x635 likes this