Monty

Ugly Situation: Lockport firefighters file grievance over garage door openers

2 posts in this topic

Saw this article out there. To the average Joe, I can't believe this is doing much for the (positive) image of the local Department. Of course, there's more to the story. No contract for a year and a half - although I don't think by itself that isn't too unusual.

The job of opening the overhead doors at the firehouse to let the vehicles in and out used to belong to the Fire Department’s dispatchers. But in May 2010, the city transferred those dispatching duties to the Police Department and installed a remote-control garage door opener at the police desk. Firefighters could still open the doors themselves with a button on the wall inside the firehouse.

In December, the city took the step of placing garage door openers inside all fire vehicles, like the ones many drivers have inside their cars. Fire Chief Thomas J. Passuite issued official guidelines detailing use.

I know it can be a slippery slope once duties are transferred, but you think that you are going to get much sympathy from the public because it takes an extra second or two to open the door for yourself?

I don't know the rules in NY but I'm pretty sure where I work, the losing side may have to pay costs of the other party. I don't know if the local really believes they are going to win - or if they just have deep pockets.

Clearly this isn't over who opens and how the doors are opened. This is a political pissing match over contracts and other business. I'd agree that it plays out poorly in the public eye.

I use a garage door opener when we return from a run.....