Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

How do we operate volunteer EMS in 2005?

11 posts in this topic

The reason for this thread is to find out how other EMS agencies are operating sufficiently in 2005. In my volunteer FD we are having a difficult time getting our rigs out the door, and patient care is slacking as well. As of recently our rigs are barely operating, and now I'm trying to get some input from other agencies to hopefully mitigate this problem. In our FD we have 5 companies and it is the repsonsibility of one company to handle the operations of EMS. Unfortunately their membership is down and they obviously can't handle the EMS end anymore. We have a strong bunch in CFD that respond to EMS, but they are also from other companies and have other repsonsibilites within the CFD. So can I get some feedback to help solve this problem..

SHAC is totally independant of the SHFD...most of the members are firefighters(and EMT-B) of various companies, but certainly no one company "runs the ambulance"...SHAC's recruitment of new EMT's and high retainment numbers are really what is making this arrangement work...obviously the more bodies you have helping out in general, the easier it is to divide of the town's volunteer's needs as a whole. SHAC7311 will prob know more details about this arrangment though...it doesn't seem right to have 5 companies, if only 4 of the rigs are getting out to the calls...maybe make one of the companies strictly EMS, and have the membership open to all companies/volunteers in the town? Keep in mind, what works in one town will not always work in others. . .

First kudos for recognizing that there is a problem. Too many times people don't want to believe that they have a problem responding to calls until someone dies. There are many different ways to help the issue but I fear that the problem will only continue to worsen as time progresses. Here are some of the more common/innovative ideas out there:

-Paid crews. Peekskill has an EMT/Driver paid from a third agency that augments the volunteer pool during the daytime. It has made a huge difference in thier ability to respond to calls at times where volunteers are busy working. Many other corps have taken heed and done similar. They weren't the first to do it, but are a good example.

-Get the PTA involved. This worked for both Chappaqua and Lewisboro. Hell, CVAC was all ready to pay an EMT to be quarters during the day until someone approached the PTA and discovered that a large number were willing to join and help out. This is why we call LVAC "PTA-VAC".

-Utilize staff already employed by the town. Elmsford dispatches on the DPW frequency for a reason. During the day the DPW guys cover Fire/EMS calls. Consider asking the town if they'd be willing to allow DPW or other town workers to cover daytime calls during hard to cover hours. North Salem is very willing to allow thier Highway guys to leave for emergencies. Others may follow suit. Can't hurt to ask.

-Seperation of EMS into a seperate entity. Heck if SHVAC can pull the 180 that they did, so can Croton.

The real problem is the EMS system is broken, Too many people have a tummy ache. what to do, call 911. People call for an ambulance for everything and anything, Little johnny hurt his leg, O my God call 911. It is total abuse of the system.

Years ago when somebody got hurt or sick your parents or a neighbor drove you to the ER, now you have to go in an ambulance. also having the dpw stop what they are doing, ie...

paving,mowing,painting, or whatever that is not the answer. Just because little suzy hurt her little finger! :-k :roll:

having the dpw stop what they are doing, ie...

paving,mowing,painting, or whatever that is not the answer. Just because little suzy hurt her little finger! :-k   :roll:

I agree. Simple solution, if you cannot get a crew out during the day, pay a crew. This is EMS, it's not a game or hobby. Although there is a lot of BS, in some case's, its somebody's life...and it is an emergency to them. Stop fooling around, and get people the professional,competent care they need and deserve in a reasonable and standardized timeframe. And by DPW taking the calls, they are only helping to cover up the issue, and take good EMS jobs away from EMT's.

I'm not going to even touch on the issue of having a crew member who smells like grass or asphalt, lol.

DPW's are overburdened as it is. Are the EMT's of the VAC going to come in and mow the lawns,replace streetlamps and fix potholes? There's no reason to distract them.....it's not the DPW's job to provide EMS.

Stop putting band-aids on a huge problem....trying to cover up or temporarily patch the problem is no good for anybody, and will do nothing to permenetly resolve the issue.

I pretty much agree with you guys, there is definetly a problem with EMS and its coverage. Its not just a one department problem its everywhere. The answer may be to pay people or make more of an incentive to get more volunteers. I dont know the answer but something definetly has to be done.

I think part of the problem is that there is little or no accountablity if the ambulance dosent roll on a call. Sooner or later a mutual aid ambulance will show up, however long that takes. But god forbid that was a structure fire or something of that nature and the fire department didnt show up until the first mutual aid company came some time later. Holy Hell would be waged at that point....just my opinion and I am not picking on EMS or Fire because I do both...

The answer to this problem is Have PAID EMS & FD these are some of the Richest counties in NY we should not have wait for an ambulance or a fire truck

don't you ever just wonder where all our tax money goes...oh yeah to everyone else's spending needs...it is just like profit sharing in baseball...we pay high taxes here and others get some because they don't have as much money...imagine that

fac911....i believe this has to do with EMS...Most fire departments in westchester have excellent response times and the volunteer system works great in these areas.

I agree with most of the statements made above, but the problem is that some AMB crew members work during the day, and do not want to go on calls late at night. I believe that fire and ems in this area has a solid, and reliable reputation, and should remain volunteer. I think it is crucial to get members involved, and always attrack new faces to keep the veterans from getting burnt out.

As a paid EMT and a volunteer Firefighter I see both sides to the spectrum. Regardless of how wealthy the area is people should not have to wait for anything in an emergancy situation. One of the major issues that I can note of, is that due to the cost of living in this area we are losing volunteers. Departments should attempt to find some way of attracting more membership. Several have purchased homes and supplied housing to those who can't really afford it here in westchester. I do agree that things should try to remain volunteer based as long as possible, however if things keep up at the rate that they are going I wouldn't be too surprised to see payed ems/fire step in where needed. Not in the immediate future but maybe within the next 10 to 15 years.

As for the DPW responding, we do that in my town and it helps a great deal with both fire and EMS. I agree that for skinned knees and auto alarms it's b.s. but thats the nature of the beast. I say do what it takes to get a rig out the door.

And as for those who don't want to get out of bed for those late night b.s. calls just because they have work in the morning, well then they have forgotten why they joined their FD/VAC, and they are who we can blame for seeing paid departments come our way