Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Coping with the heat and humidity at work

3 posts in this topic

I'm just wondering if any Fire, PD, or EMS agency alters or specializes their operations to cope with the current weather conditions. This could include:

-Shorter work intervals and increased rehab sector time

-Calling for an additional manpower engine or truck to facilitate the above

-Carry more water and other cooling devices

-Uniform changes, such as t-shirts or polos in place of traditonal stuffy button down shirts.

-Cancelling or shortening drills or outdoor work details.

-Remind members to keep hydrated 24/7, even when off-duty

-Provide a tent or cooling area for rehab

-Utilizing EMS for rehab

Or is it business as usual??

Great topic brother. I know of many departments both career and volunteer that will immediately up their first and second alarm responses on high heat index days.

Keep in mind the following:

-It takes twice as long for your body to process water then it does to lose it.

-If your already behind the 8 ball in hydration your at severe risk and may not be able to compensate.

-If you drink sports drinks, cut them by at least 50% with water. These drinks are designed for sports athletes and high performance. The amount of electrolytes and water in them can actually cause an imbalance and pull water out of your interstitial spaces, increase urination to rid yourself of the excess sugar and electrolytes. You need water and some sodium/potassium replacement. Sports drinks will exceed that.

-Check the heat index, this is the ambient temp and humidity combined.

-Direct sunlight add 10 degrees

-Turnout gear add another 10.

Someone a while ago in one of my departments was handing out copies of a article on water intoxification. Yes it is possible, but highly unlikely in the short term. Water is always great, but eventually you do need some form of sodium also. With most of our diets today there is plenty of sodium to go around, so sports drinks (cut w/water as stated) or for extended operations, some sort of carbs, or a few potato chips help.

When I was in the desert every hour we had to drink a quart of water and eat a bag of potato chips. Didn't lose one Marine to heat illness and it was 120 degrees for most of the day.

Also note, by the time you FEEL thirsty, you are already far down the road to dehydration.

And ditto on the Water Intox part. I think it actually requires something like 5 gallons+ in less than an hours time.