Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Writing inccident reports for your own F.D. alarms.....

6 posts in this topic

What are anyone's thoughts on this? I might imply that it some how seems wrong. Not to comment about the job after the fact, but to record the initial inccident. I'm sure that I'm opening a can of worms with this and I'm not trying to insult, I just would like to hear feed back about it.

Who better to report on an incident than someone who was actually there?

These are not opinion pieces, and I for one try to keep commentary to a minimum, if not zero.

Its great when someone is tuned in to a scanner, but quite frankly I get tired of reading posts like this:

1200: City of Anywhere dispatched to Reported Structure Fire

1202: Everyone is en route

1205: Chief reports working fire

1400: All units 10-8.

Especially with the onset of fireground radios that most people without a ridiculously expensive scanner cannot monitor, its a lot more interesting to read about what actually went on at the scene, rather than what someone heard while sitting in their bedroom.

I must say that is why there is the incident workshop. For the most part Truck4 or any of the other guys do a great job of posting the incidents as they are happening for everyone else to read.

the real pain is once it is posted only moderators can change or add to it i believe--If I was at a call and have additional or corrected info--I cannot change it I have to start another thread. Like now--there are 2 postings for the chopper down-

Whoever makes the original IA post can edit it, which is why there is the IW.

In a perfect world, people who post an IA would monitor the IW for corrections and updates...

Some departments have different companies. If your company isn't called to the alarm or not on stand-by, maybe a member of that 'not called' company would write the IA.