Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
27east

Defering Getting Hired With FDNY?

3 posts in this topic

So you're on the list, have the CFR and 30 credits in order....

First of all, if you are called and you can't/don't want to accept, can you defer or are you just dropped from the list and have to go through everything all over again?

Also, since the promotions these days require alot more college credit and some a degree, is it better to just stay in school and finish, or is it possible to be able to take classes and get the degree while a FDNY member?

thanks alot all!!!!!!

This is an interesting question. First I don't know if you can defer. I do think that you can defer for College Credit. So with that being said, if that don't let you defer for no reason then say you don't have the credit. I will try to find out more on this...

Second if you can stay in college and finish out this would be the best for you now and in your future.

There would be no problem with you taking classes while a member of FDNY. Just as a Proby you might not have the time that you would if you had a few years.

You can defer to finish school, a good friend did, when we got called at the same time. When you defer you have to fill out a one page form stating the reason why you want to defer, etc, and ask to be kept on the list for future classes. It gets sent to the head of personell at DCAS who reviews it. I can't imagine it being a problem (getting deffered) if you have a valid reason, school, family etc.