Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Teen firefighters stepping up to serve their communities

1 post in this topic

Very well written article. Recruiting teens as junior members often leads to them becoming full members of the department later. It also makes their training easier and quicker when they are ready. I started my fire service career in Ardsley as an Explorer at 14. It was one of the best experiences of my life. Many of the guys I served in the Explorer post with are now Chiefs in the department, career firefighters, Police Officers, and other related fields. It's also a great way to provide supplemental manpower at the firehouse when packing hose, cleaning equipment, etc.

Volunteerism has been on the decline in many organizations and towns over recent decades, including in the Port Jervis Fire Department. PJFD Chief Frank Fuller III and fellow officers and responders say they are grateful for teens, both male and female, who have been stepping up to help fill the ranks in increasing numbers.

What do teen firefighters offer to volunteer services across our country? A lot, said Fuller and other officers of the department.

http://www.recordonline.com/article/20160407/NEWS/160409479/101043/NEWS

EmsFirePolice likes this