Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dr. Zuki

Yonkers: NY State PD asked to patrol Central Park Avenue:

5 posts in this topic

Police Commissioner Taggart spoke at the mayor's town hall meeting the other night and said he is asking NY State PD to help patrol Central Park Avenue which happens to be a state arterial. The State cops have helped out a few times with County PD on the Thursday night youth detail at the Kohl's parking lot. Hope we can get the state cops here for good, but it may be shakey to pull off.

That usually ends up being a sticky situation. Just recently, Albany asked for assistence in some of their 'high-crime' areas, and SP has provided assistance, over the objection of the C/Albany PBA. However, in Rochester and Newburgh (among a few other places), the local PD have welcomed our assistance. It appears in some cases, ie. Albany, it is seen as a threat to their manpower requests.

Rest assured, in those cases we have no desire to 'take-over' any portion of patrol or any other functions after short-term enforcement projects, such as CPA in Yonkers.

Any of us who live in (me) and around Yonkers know that the way people drive on central avenue sometimes is nothing short of incredible. Besides, given the traffic situation on any given saturday or sunday, you would understand why Comm. Taggart would ask for State Police assistance. I would assume the main reason is traffic control (i.e. tickets and traffic), not crime. Yonkers cops have so much on their plate as it is, not for anything, but dealing with too many speeding people on CPA shouldn't be one of them. YPD is a great dept. though. Emergency services in yonkers, FD, PD, yeah and Empress makes you happy to live here.

roeems87,

Thanks for the compliments. Yes, the State ssistance would likely be for traffic enforcement only. I should have mentioned that key point in my posting.

P.S.

As widely reported in the media, there have been too many auto fatalities and accidents along Central Park Avenue. The intersection of Central at Arlington Street was rated as the most dangerous in the county not too long ago. It's not uncommon for the YPD traffic cops to give out close to 100 summonses during their nightly speed details. No kidding, 100 tickets in just one evening. There are also numerous cars impounded for suspended licenses, and a few arrests for active warrants, etc. So any help from NY State is needed. This is a state roadway.