x635

Best Antenna Setup To Monitor WCDES Trunked System?

3 posts in this topic

Looking to see what other use antenna wise to monitor the WCDES Trunked System.

I currently use a Uniden Bearcat BCT15X to monitor. I've tried different antennas and configurations, but my reception mostly always sucks, especially with signals very close to me.  I live in Battalion 14, and I can hardly hear what's going on, but Battalion 16, which is way north of me, I get crystal clear.

I can't put an outside antenna, but I do have it as high up on an inside window frame as I can. It's a wideband antenna that's basically a "rubber ducky". I've also tried a mobile wire antenna in different places.

I'm interested to see how others have their base station antennas setup. Any help would be appreciated.

trauma74 likes this

Seth,

I really think a lot of it has to do with you only using an antenna inside, in addition, the materials your building is made of may be killing the signal. What about putting an antenna outside of the window? Maybe rig up a metal plate and put a magnetic mobile antenna on it?

Seth,

There are many factors involved in receiving signals but the simplest is that your antenna must be where the signal is. Try moving your indoor antenna to a different side of the building (near a different window). As Trauma74 pointed out, your building may be blocking your reception of local signals even though you have a clear shot to the north.