x635

New FDNY EMS Station 50

3 posts in this topic

WOW. Hard to believe this is an EMS station! Looks to be designed well and give FDNY*EMS crews the home they deserve. And note that the only time FDNY EMS crews see the station is during shift change, since they are posted on street corners. They designed this primarily to be an architectural masterpiece. They found the money to pay for this, but not raises?

http://www.architecturalrecord.com/articles/12306-emergency-medical-service-station-50-by-deanwolf-architects

EmsFirePolice, dwcfireman and Billy like this

Although the station looks nice and is new the city screwed up. They designed this station when they did not use extended cab Ambulances. However, construction began when they started to use the longer Amnulances and did not update the design. So instead of fitting 2 Ambulances in each bay only one fits. They are also running more Ambulances then the station was designed for.

Edited by nycmedic
x635 likes this

Designed 10 years ago?  You design stations with 25 years of growth in mind.  I bet they do more and have more responsibilities than 10 years ago.  Also I bet technology in the building sector is different, so they are most likely using dated methods which are also possibly less economical.  I know this is an EMS station but in the last few years around the country firehouses are getting saunas and steam rooms in to reduce cancer.  Why use science to increase employees' health and reduce future health costs.