N1Medic

Unhappy Greenwich committee cuts $75,000 from GEMS budget request to ‘send a message’

2 posts in this topic

GREENWICH — A contentious debate on Greenwich Emergency Medical Services practices, spending and lack of transparency ended Tuesday with members of the RTM’s Health and Human Services Committee vowing to cut $75,000 from GEMS’s budget request to “send a message

http://www.greenwichtime.com/local/article/Unhappy-Greenwich-RTM-HHS-committee-cuts-75-000-11119216.php?cmpid=fbsocialflow

A different set-up. I always thought GEMS was much like the fire department, police department or DPW for that matter - part of the town. I never knew it was a private organization. I wonder how it was set-up once the fire departments, police department & Back Country Ambulance gave up their ambulances to create GEMS?  In fact, GFD is one of only a handful of departments that has career firefighters that don't provide first responder service to the town. Once they gave up the ambulances they gave up everything. The police does the first responder service for the town.  

Not saying good or bad, just a different set-up than I've ever seen before. 

Edited by LayTheLine
added Back Country Ambulance